Salsify and Scorzonera...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salsify and Scorzonera...

i've bought some new seeds to try this year, i've got salsify 'giant' and scorzonera 'Russian Giant'. i want to grow these as i've never seen them in a shop before and i like the thought of growing something new and exciting.
    However ive recently read a few things online saying they are a bit bland in flavour.

i was wondering if anyone who has grown it before would recommend it and if theres any little growing tips i should know for them?

cheers!
    http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

i grew salsify for the first time last year and will grow it again....it hasnt got a strong flavour but its not bland ...i usually roast mine with other root veg. Here in this part of France there is a local delicacy which is a pie with confit de canard (ducks leg preserved in fat)and salsify and its really gorgeous ...never made it myself only had it in restaurants...boiled or steamed it is meant to taste very slightly of oyster.(ie sea water) theonly time i have found that flavour is when i have bought it in jars from the shop.
    As far as growing, i found it a bit like growin carrots...mine have forked where they have been in rough soil (I'm growing in a plot that hasnt been cultivated for well over 20 years and has had to be cleared of brambles and tree roots).
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
      i grew salsify for the first time last year and will grow it again....it hasnt got a strong flavour but its not bland ...i usually roast mine with other root veg. Here in this part of France there is a local delicacy which is a pie with confit de canard (ducks leg preserved in fat)and salsify and its really gorgeous ...never made it myself only had it in restaurants...boiled or steamed it is meant to taste very slightly of oyster.(ie sea water) theonly time i have found that flavour is when i have bought it in jars from the shop.
      As far as growing, i found it a bit like growin carrots...mine have forked where they have been in rough soil (I'm growing in a plot that hasnt been cultivated for well over 20 years and has had to be cleared of brambles and tree roots).
      Love the description!

I can feel my arteries hardening at the thought of that pie. Recipe pleeeease... (And ignore the fact that I'm on the diet thread!! )

Comment

I grew scorzonera (it's dead easy, just sow and forget): by the time you've peeled it, there's not much left. Also, you get a latex sap all over your hands.

I won't be bothering again
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grow salsify for their beautiful flowers which only open when the sun is out!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

basketcase
            I have pm'd you with a recipe for the pie.
            Amazing thing is i googled it in english and got a link to my own thread!!!!!!!
            Last edited by Jardiniere; 03-02-2010, 11:05 PM.
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

I am growing them too this year, looking forward to it, as I am told they are nicer than parsnips.

Comment

thanks for all the advice! ive bought the seeds now so im going to give them a try this year and see what i think.
                http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
                  basketcase
                  I have pm'd you with a recipe for the pie.
                  Amazing thing is i googled it in english and got a link to my own thread!!!!!!!

Got it! As I said in my PM, the Persil had me a bit worried, till I realised it was Parsley

Sounds yum. I shall go away and work out the Points, put it to one side till I've grown some salsify, realise it has too many points, then eat it anyway...

Comment

We like it par-boiled then fried in bread-crumbs. It is a bit bland but that can be useful. - It goes with anything.
                    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                    >
                    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X