No announcement yet.

Late Leeks - Guidance Please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to remember ready an article by Medwin Willians about saving leek seed and the way to do it is to cut the leek down so there is about an inch or two of stump and then when it goes to seed there is less likelihood of it rotting. I had most of my leeks in the ground in good time but due to the mild early winter quite a few threw up a seed spike. Still I find there is still plenty of usable leek even with the flower spike.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      You don't need to dig them up to eat them. Just slice off at ground level. They'll regrow too.
      Now I read that on here recently, then promptly forgot it! Do they take long to re-grow? I'm not looking to re-use their plot until the spring.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
        I seem to remember ready an article by Medwin Willians about saving leek seed and the way to do it is to cut the leek down so there is about an inch or two of stump and then when it goes to seed there is less likelihood of it rotting. I had most of my leeks in the ground in good time but due to the mild early winter quite a few threw up a seed spike. Still I find there is still plenty of usable leek even with the flower spike.

Ian
        I found the problem was the flowerhead - it takes an age to produce the seeds so unless we have a good autumn [which we did last year] the outsides don't dry out and you can't lift them early enough to continue developing.

In future, my leeks being saved for seed will be pulled up once I've decided which are 'the ones' and put into a big pot and taken somewhere where I can keep an eye on them, and then moved into the greenhouse come the autumn.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          You don't need to dig them up to eat them. Just slice off at ground level. They'll regrow too.
          So now I've just got to dig down to ground level

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          In future, my leeks being saved for seed will be pulled up once I've decided which are 'the ones' and put into a big pot and taken somewhere where I can keep an eye on them, and then moved into the greenhouse come the autumn.
          My best seed saving book recommends moving them into the greenhouse / polytunnel like that so fingers crossed. Not tried it yet but may next winter.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X