Dandelions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
    I'm pretty sure that my Italian friend on the lottie site uses a particular long thin kind of dandelion to grow and I know he doesn't blanch them he just earths them up a little way up the stem!
    I'm reviving this to say I have just found a form of chicory in Italy thus:

Full Name: Chicory Italian Dandelion (ciccoria catalogna)

Description:

Deeply cut, long, wide leaves on quick growing plants which produce an abundance of young shoots in spring. The thick shoots and tender young leaves are eaten in salads or lightly steamed. They have a rich, delicate flavor that many prefer to asparagus.

Sow in spring (March-May) summer or late summer after the peak of the hot season has passed. Thin to 1 foot apart, and allow the plants to develop over winter.

A friend of mine who lives in Florence (and I'm not jealous at all ) is sending me some seed. He swears blind that it is not dandelion but a loose leafed, self blanching chicory.

I'll keep grapes informed when it arrives (especially the 'prefer it to asparagus'.) Wanna bet?
    Last edited by sarraceniac; 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
      It's possible to eat lots of wild plants but why bother when you can have proper food.
      There's a big tradition of foraging in italy,and also a liking for bitter vegetables/leaves.
      It's not considered weird,or strange, it's something that the majority of italians do, if they don't live in cities.

Comment

Oh, Taff - just noticed your location. Must make you proud! *Sorry folks - off topic.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I used to make dandelion wine years ago! The flowers should be picked on St georges day and it will be drinkable by Christmas. (A very light white)
          Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            Oh, Taff - just noticed your location. Must make you proud! *Sorry folks - off topic.
            not really...

Comment

Something maybe worth a mention...
              There's another weed/plant that looks a lot like dandelion but isn't. I've heard it called "false dandelion" (rather unsurprisingly).

I could be very much mistaken here, but I seem to recall the false one doesn't have the hollow flower stems that the true dandelion has.

Also on the "name" front. I've never heard the more colourful names for dandelion applied to anything else. Piss-the-bed, piss-a-bed, piss-bed, piss-en-lit (for the French) and others.

On the weeds-as-food thing - now's the right time to be picking nettles for that too. The younger the better.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                I used to make dandelion wine years ago! The flowers should be picked on St georges day and it will be drinkable by Christmas. (A very light white)
                Nice to see you back
                I've pencilled in the right date for dandy picking, as I'm keen to add it to my wine repertoire (parsnip, carrot, celery & beetroot already tried)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

dandelions are pain in the ------- . Its a rapidly growing weed and roots are very hardy and stubborn... even a small piece of root left in the ground will restart growing... very difficult to get rid of this...
                  http://bageechah.blogspot.com/

Comment

Since I started picking the leaves off dandelions in the garden (yes, I DO have that sort of garden!) to give to the chickens, who absolutely adore them, I find they aren't growing back so well at all. I was nearly out of them by autumn. They must be severely weakened by constant leaf picking. Can't see a sign of them yet this year.
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
                      It's possible to eat lots of wild plants but why bother when you can have proper food.
                      I just saw this and thought I'd chip in...
                      Define "proper food". Quite often the "wild" food is far more appropriate for a particular thing than the nearest "proper" equivalent.

Also, where do you draw the line?

About 90% of all blackberries I consume are wild.
                      100% of the sloes, elderflowers and elderberries I use (both for food and drink purposes) are wild... and I'm not aware of a "proper" equivalent for any of them.

What about Jack-by-the-Hedge? What's the "proper food" version of that? Normal garlic, maybe, but that's far more pungent.

If you ask me I'd re-word it like this...
                      There's plenty of proper food outside that's there for the taking... why bother limiting yourself to what's on sale in the shops?

Flummery - that's an interesting development - one I'll be sure to keep in mind.
                      I'm almost tempted to keep a few similarly sized dandelions and see which one dies the quickest.
                      1> Leaves picked regularly.
                      2> All leaves pulled at once.
                      3> Pulled up leaving some root behind.

It'd be interesting to see which one fared the wrost.

Comment

Originally posted by falkon View Post
                        even a small piece of root left in the ground will restart growing... very difficult to get rid of this...
                        I dug out over 100 of them last year with a daisy grubber: no sign of regrowth yet
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          I dug out over 100 of them last year with a daisy grubber: no sign of regrowth yet
                          sounds interesting .. I will try this year... .lets hope the snow will wipe away some time soon
                          http://bageechah.blogspot.com/

Comment

I can't get my dandelions to germinate. I was going to grow some in pots for the rabbits as we've cleared most out of the garden.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X