No announcement yet.

Garlic - Help!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I planted my (proper 'seed') garlic cloves on a fine day in October, was at the lottie on Sunday just gone - not a scrap of growth peeping out of the soil - yet 3 cloves from the supermarket I shoved into a pot in the garden have about 6" of growth.

Is my lottie garlic harvest destined not to happen, or may things come right in the spring???

Vik
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

http://viks-garden.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GeordieVik View Post
      I planted my (proper 'seed') garlic cloves on a fine day in October, was at the lottie on Sunday just gone - not a scrap of growth peeping out of the soil - yet 3 cloves from the supermarket I shoved into a pot in the garden have about 6" of growth.

Is my lottie garlic harvest destined not to happen, or may things come right in the spring???

Vik
      Not really sure Geordievik, but how deep did you put them (and which way up?)
      Some of ours have taken longer than others to show. We planted two lots three weeks apart and one lot didn't show yet, so I guess may not. We planted some more a few weeks apart and they've all come up. The longest the others have taken so far is one month from planting to sprouting. Wait and see I guess. Good luck.

Comment

oh, definitely the right way up (flat at bottom, pointy bit up) and I'm pretty sure they were the right depth.

Hmmm. Maybe we'll be buying garlic all next year at Tesco again!!
        Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

http://viks-garden.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello Geordievick, the only thing to do now is get in there, dig up a bit of where you planted the garlic and see what is happening there. Have they rotted there o or what? If they've rotted then the wet has got them. Try drilling the soil up (as for earthing up potatoes) and replant into the top of the drills. This will help the drainage. If the bulbs are still there, then just be patient.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by GeordieVik View Post
            oh, definitely the right way up (flat at bottom, pointy bit up) and I'm pretty sure they were the right depth.

Hmmm. Maybe we'll be buying garlic all next year at Tesco again!!
            Don't give up, we've planted ours from eating bulbs off the market and had some this week that wanted to grow, so I shoved them in at home. If you have any eating bulbs with a nip of green shoot, try shoving them in and see if they go.

Are you aware of moon planting though? (there's a thread about it on the vine).
            If you get it right things go better it seems. Waxing moon for leaf growth and waning moon for roots (I think). Have a look and give it another go.
            Best of luck

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X