What spuds have lasted?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desiree!!

Had to look it up, though, lol. My excuse is I've driven for 5 1/2 hrs today. Enough to kill anybody's brain...

Comment

I didn't dig my Charlottes up until after my maincrops - they are sprouting in the shed, but the King Edwards are mostly fine (if scabby).
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mostly main crops left now, but still have a few Belle de Fontenay, Charlotte and just enough Edzell Blues left for roasting yesterday. This might be because I just dug them up last month.

Comment

I've got Anyas, which I mainly stored in a paper covered cardboard boxes in a cool kitchen, for a couple of months with no problems at all.
          I've also got Ospreys and Red Duke Of Yorks, which I have stored in cardboard fruit boxes covered with newspaper and insulated with an old jacket and sleeping bag, in an old dog run kennel. A couple of the RDOYs have been frosted or blighted - hard to tell as they don't stink at such low temperatures - but other than that and a couple of nibbles from mice, they have kept perfectly at temperatures down to about -15.
          The temperature here hasn't been above -8 for the last two days and it's getting colder, so I'm hoping that they stay okay !
          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
            of the varieties we planted the one still mainly 'solid' is anya
            Can I ask when you harvested these? I was planning on growing some next year as salad potatoes. I wasn't expecting them to store well. If they do, I'll order more tubers.

Comment

Hi maypril, the anya were lifted early as the tops had gotten blighted, to stop it spreading to the spud - just checked our diary...

The spuds all went in at the start of april and had to be lifted by 3rd week of July. So the main crop didn't get enough growing time...
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Used the last of my Desiree for Christmas dinner, which were grown in used compost bags in the back garden - next year I aim to provide everything but the turkey

iScribe

Comment

We've got some rather large Lady Christl for dinner tonight! I grew far too many this year and they were still growing strong when I started lifting the Harlequin, then we got blight, lifted them all and stored the Lady Christl in the shed - they're still perfect and because they got so big are lovely roasted!
                  Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                  So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X