How long will celery stand?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will celery stand?

I have had a v. successful crop of celery, and we haven't yet got through it all - how long will it hang about? Does it just go tough and stringy after a while? At the moment it's mostly fine, just the odd tough bit!! It's a self blanching variety.

Good question, Sweetcorn - I'm in the same position as you so I hope we get an answer. But if the celery has gone tough, I make a batch of celery and stilton soup 'cos I love it!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

If you both have self-blanching then it should be lifted before the first hard frost cos it's not 100% hardy. You both live a bit to the south of here but remembering 2 or 3 years ago that is not really a guarantee. I suggest lifting certainly before Christmas, but it keeps in the fridge for a good month.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I agree about lifting before a hard frost. Here in Glasgow, even trench celery collapses after hard frost. I am also trialling an unknown variety of pink celery this Winter, given to me by a fellow plotter, that appears to be frost hardy.

Comment

Been a few years since I bothered growing celery, but I seem to remember the first good frost usually sees the end of it. Once the stems have been frozen the tend to go to mush when they defrost.

Ian

Comment

Thanks gang! Must get mine dug up then. I grew eight plants as a trial this year (usually grow celariac) and they have performed well. Can you freeze it for soups, or even dry it?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger it is probably best to freeze the soup base -so you do the first part of the soup (I use chopped onion sweated down with chopped celery for 5-10 mins) cooled and frozen at that stage. Once defrosted add the liquid (stock, and milk if a creamy soup) do the half hour simmer and voila! At the end I add my stilton.

Comment

As Jeanied says it is fine for soup frozen (well actually - defrosted ). Never heard of it being dried.

My recipe is:

1 head of celery.

1 pint of chicken or vegetable stock.

Knob of butter (unsalted is best). (Optional, especially if vegan).

2 tablespoons of good olive oil.

2 or 3 cloves of garlic.

Medium onion.

Small tub of double cream. (Again optional). If vegan, a medium floury spud.

Trim celery and wash leaving some small leaves on. Chop into 1 inch pieces. Peel and chop the onion and garlic. (And tattie if using).

Sweat for 10 minutes in a covered large saucepan in oil and butter making sure not to brown. Add stock. Bring to boil and simmer for about half an hour. Cool a little. Put the lot in a blender and whizz until smooth. Return to heat and stir in cream. Do not quite boil. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and add croutons when serving.

You see we's all gourmets in this neck of the garden.
                Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                >
                >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Hear, hear, Sarraceniac!

Comment

Here was me thinking it was frost hardy and I would be able to pull it through the winter! ..............Ah well, thats put the kybosh on that!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My celery has been severely battered by the gales we've had up here but I'll get it picked over the next few days...if it stops raining. It's gone a bit stringy but if put through the blender and frozen the resulting mush makes an excellent addition to winter soups. I also grew some in big tubs and brought them into the unheated greenhouse so we can still have fresh celery right through the winter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X