No announcement yet.

Dried Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew Broad beans,Dwarf French,Butterbeans and climbing Borlotti as well as dwarf Borlotti lbeans last year. The only ones I wasn't impressed with were the dwarf borlotti, yet the dwarf french beans excelled themselves!

I have Aqualunce Claudia and Epicure(red seeded broad bean) which are about 6" tall now and will sow Bunyards Exhibition later in the spring.

I only tried the tall growing Butterbeans and Borlotti beans because I am not a lover of runner beans but like a little bit of height in the garden.

This year its going to be more Dwarf French + Climbing French, Borlotti and Butterbeans!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Supersprout - what a fantastic harvest and thanks for sharing it. I found a dried up runner bean in the polytunnel this morning and t he seeds look perfect for planting (not enough to eat!).
      I kept some of my French beans and dried them out, but unfortunately put them in the cupboard and have not used them yet in a stew (probably only enough for two).
      Would like to hear more about what varieties grow best for storing.
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Supersprout
        Am impressed with your harvest, I didn't grown nearly enough, how many plants did you have?

They are very easy to grow, if you check out the seed catalogue they will tell you the HDRA Garden Organic or the HDRA Heritage Seed Library have a huge range of varieties. But most catalogues will have some.
        I grew and I can't remember them all, Cherokee, Trail of Tears, Canadian and Borlotti but am certainly going to try more this year.
        Just grow normally, but let the pods dry on the plant, if the weather is good they can dry outside but due to the rain I uprooted my plants and hung them up in the greenhouse to finish drying, then when the pods are all crackly and the seeds are hard, shell them and put them in a jar.
        Sue

Comment

Thanks for the info. As a newbie this kind of info is fantastic especially when accompanied by such great photos. had lots of success with runner beans, and dwarf french last year so i have extended my seed collection for this year. Trying some of the purple and yellow climbers.

Comment

Sue, so many of my friends have raved about Cherokee Trail of Tears that I'll be growing a trial wigwam this year. Anyone going to grow Nun's Belly Button?

Originally posted by Sue View Post
            I didn't grown nearly enough, how many plants did you have?
            Sue
            About 40 Borlotti and about 60 butter beans, sowed four to a station/pole 18 inches apart.
            Last edited by supersprout; 11-01-2007, 09:13 PM.
            SSx
            not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X