Well I never- Autumn germinating toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quark1 View Post
    Don't forget that should you be lucky and get them through to flowering you'll almost certainly have to use a brush or similar to pollinate them as the trusty bees will not be available.
    Hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Try to keep them growing slowly through the winter and they will take off in march. I took some side shoots from my Gardener's Delight in October last year and rooted them in jiffy pellets over the winter, they flowered in April and I started picking on 31 May, 410 tomatoes from 3 plants. So go to it

Comment

Just tap them to pollinate.

I've chopped back one of my hanging basket toms and brought it indoors. The two sideshoots I took a few weeks back are flowering now.

Comment

I've got several cuttings from tomatoes this year just in the greenhouse - one seems to be taking off a tad too much so it might get a chop in a week or two. I'm not bringing them in until it gets really really cold and they start to look a bit bedraggled.

Comment

I've got a couple of seedlings in the cauliflower bed - germinated from compost, so I don't even know what variety they are! Ooh the suspense, lol. Don't think I'll bother with them, though. If they survive, well, I'll make millions selling winter-hardy toms.

Comment

Originally posted by Incy View Post
              Hadn't thought of that.
              You don't need bees they do it by themselves, but to be honest I wouldn't have thoguht they'd flower until spring anyway. If they're on a south facing window then they've got as good a chance as owt. Good luck hope you win

Comment

If they don't flower till spring that's fine as they will go out in the GH once it's warm enough, assuming they made it through the winter.

Comment

Tomatoes are perennial in their natural setting so go for it. It's not that different to over wintering a chilli plant I'd have thought.

Comment

Just a quick update. They have indeed made it through the winter! I have just transplanted them into individual pots and buried them nice and deep to compensate for their legginess and they have just started to flower

Comment

Well done. I must admit to being surprised. Let us know how they crop.
                      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                      >
                      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Will do. I'll try and take a picture of them later and post it on here

Comment

Nice one! I didnt think it would work, goes to sho I know nowt!
                          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

We are anxiously awaiting the pics!
                            Happiness is being with the love of your life. If you can't have that, then an unlimited supply of well-rotted manure is a pretty close second!

Comment

Well done - keep us updated & hope your eating some toms of them real soon.
                              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Congratulations - early toms - fab!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X