No announcement yet.

Horse carrots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always peel carrots unless I've grown them. They do pick up pesticides something chronic. I never buy foreign carrots as they are allowed to use pesticides not allowed here.

All that was just to say that I feel peeling is important.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
      My dog loves fresh tripe and that is marketed as 'Suitable for working dogs only'. The most energetic thing my dog does is snore very loudly but apparently if it is sold for house pooches then they have to charge VAT on it. Working dogs are VAT exempt. I just love red tape.
      My dogs eat "working dog" food, which is £8.75 a sack, rather than £15+ .... VAT exempt of course!!

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
        I sometimes buy him a huge swede to play with in his stable.
        Dolf Lundgren? Or is he a great Dane?
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          I always peel carrots unless I've grown them. They do pick up pesticides something chronic. I never buy foreign carrots as they are allowed to use pesticides not allowed here.

All that was just to say that I feel peeling is important.
          I NEVER buy carrots and always peel the ones I grow. Don't know how I ever managed without my natty little carrot peeler. It used to take me ages scraping the damm things!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

'Horse carrots ' - reminded me of a local farmer who used to grow 'cow cabbages'
            great big things about 3 feet accross. Doubt anyone grows them now

Comment

Cow cabbage ? That is what they call white cabbage round these parts. The stuff we use for coleslaw etc... Never seen them 3 feet across though !
              Reading this thread i could by enough vegetables for a week for a fiver !
              The link to my old website with vegetable garden and poultry photographs

http://www.m6jdb.co.uk

Comment

Dolf Lundgren? Or is he a great Dane?
                LOL - nice one!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                  My dogs eat "working dog" food, which is £8.75 a sack, rather than £15+ .... VAT exempt of course!!
                  What make and where do I find it please?
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Farm supply shops are the best place for dog food. Up here we have West Cumberland Farmers and Tynedale agri-shop. I buy 12 can packs a lot cheaper than the shops or large bags of dry food at about half supermarket price.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                      What make and where do I find it please?
                      We have had in the past:
                      Dog Food for gundogs, sheepdogs, agility dogs, and show dogs. - you can order online (but delivery is steep) or there are some local suppliers who will deliver it to you - check the website

However, the boys currently eat Dr. John Silver Medal Dr John's Silver Medal, and we get it from our local agricultural feed store

Comment

horse carrots are really tasty(I ate one once - a bit of it to persuade my daughters welsh mountain to be caught!.........he couldn't resist the crunching..)why haven't I thought of just getting a cheap £2 sack from gm growers for our use before?!

Comment

My dog loves fresh tripe and that is marketed as 'Suitable for working dogs only'. The most energetic thing my dog does is snore very loudly but apparently if it is sold for house pooches then they have to charge VAT on it. Working dogs are VAT exempt. I just love red tape.
                          Hmmm, that explains why the fresh meat I buy for my cat has 'For Working Dogs Only' on it! I did wonder why it was cheaper than everywhere else (and he bloomin loves it, too! Speshally the wabbit!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay giant View Post
                            Cow cabbage ? That is what they call white cabbage round these parts. The stuff we use for coleslaw etc... Never seen them 3 feet across though !
                            Reading this thread i could by enough vegetables for a week for a fiver !
                            Try a variety called Filderkraut.... it gets enormous......

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              Out and about on Saturday, and we drove past a farm that always has a sign outside advertising potatoes for sale, or eggs - that kind of thing. This time however they have a sign that says "horse carrots for sale".

Are these carrots especially grown for horses?

Would a numan bean end up unwell if they ate horse carrots?

Are they especially large?
                              It's a long time since this was posted but having just seen it, I thought I'd set the record straight.

No, they aren't specially grown for horses. And no, you wouldn't get ill from eating them.

They are the same carrots that you buy in the greengrocer or supermarket. It's just that supermarkets are fussy about what produce looks like so anything that doesn't match their criteria usually goes for animal feed.

The carrots sold as horse or pony carrots tend to be a bit misshapen or odd sizes but apart from that and their price - I pay £2.50 for a 28lb/12.7kg net - they are usually of excellent quality and flavour. My horse is very generous and allows me to take some home to feed the family.

Comment

The amount of wasted perfectly edible food that falls into this sort of category is utterly shocking, and entirely down to the perception that fruit and vegetables have to be exactly the right size and shape and completely blemish free. At least the horse carrots are not going to waste (my horses get them too), but sooner or later these silly rules are going to have to be changed because the world simply can't produce enough "perfect" food for everyone.
                                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X