No announcement yet.

Sprouting garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your garlic and onions are shooting then it means they have put down some good roots, (roots nearly always come before top growth) which is what you want for them to get through the winter. My garlic has about a 3" green top and they are looking really strong and healthy which is just what I want.

Ian

Comment

I havn't scrolled the whole thread so not sure if my query has already been answered. Did I read that you start them off in 3" pots if so is that outside or inside. If outside how do you protect tham from heavy frost and do you transplant into bigger pots and when? I live in Dorset so very hard frosts are not a problem (famous last words)

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
        I havn't scrolled the whole thread so not sure if my query has already been answered. Did I read that you start them off in 3" pots if so is that outside or inside. If outside how do you protect tham from heavy frost and do you transplant into bigger pots and when? I live in Dorset so very hard frosts are not a problem (famous last words)

I start mine off in pots so the various wildlife doesn't dig them up. I leave them in the cold frame with old fridge shelves over the top to keep the beasties out. Then plant them out as soon as the roots reach the edge of the pots and they can then hold themselves in the ground

They don't mind frost - they need it to initiate the split into separate cloves rather than just one big bulb.

(Spoiler alert!)
        Incidentally, I went to the recording of Gardeners' Question Time last night and Bob Flowerdew's topical tip was to use a sleeve from a cut-down pop bottle around the emerging shoot. He says it protects it just enough over winter and gets it going early next spring for a bumper harvest.

Comment

Thank you so much. I have decided to plant mine direct into unused flower troughs. 3' x 8" x 8"
          Also want to start some shallot. They are long ones with cloves - do I separate same as garlic?

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
            Thank you so much. I have decided to plant mine direct into unused flower troughs. 3' x 8" x 8"
            Also want to start some shallot. They are long ones with cloves - do I separate same as garlic?

yes separate them, they're usually just attached at the root end and break apart quite easily. Sometimes when there's just a skinny, tiny one that's really well attached to another I leave them be. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHillGardener View Post
              yes separate them, they're usually just attached at the root end and break apart quite easily. Sometimes when there's just a skinny, tiny one that's really well attached to another I leave them be. Does that make sense?
              indeed it does...

Comment

The garlic I put in 3 weeks ago is up and about 2". As well as planting in a raised bed, I too am using unused flower troughs Bren (instead of them being empty in the shed) after composting the summer bedding plants. I have also had to use them because I intend to plant 3 times more garlic than last year!
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                  If your garlic and onions are shooting then it means they have put down some good roots, (roots nearly always come before top growth) which is what you want for them to get through the winter. My garlic has about a 3" green top and they are looking really strong and healthy which is just what I want.

Ian
                  I was out having a look at my onion bed yesterday and saw some shoots just coming through. I gently brushed the soil away from an area where no shoot was visible and found myself looking at a set I'd planted upside down. Hope that was the only one. Lovely root sytem though!

Comment

lol......bet the poor little thing is saying "someone put the light on please"

Comment

Me too About 50 garlic shoots, It'll just have to take it's chance
                      But I'll put some more in, in early December when it should definately be cold. Then both batches will get the frosts, and we'll what happens

Comment

Like the bottle top tip FHG. I've loads spare having taking them from the left over of the Spring brocolli bed which has been totally demolished by goodness knows what

Comment

Will have to stop buying garlic every time I go out as the bed is nearly full. Some varieties seem to take a lot longer in shooting than others. I think the strongest growing is Cristo but as it is raining I'm not going out to confirm that.

Ian

Comment

Thank you

I am new here and a novice veg grower. I have read so much conflicting advice about onions garlic etc. Both mine, which were planted on the 14th october have all sprouted and are about 2" high, due to the very mild weather here in Hants, I was told that they would be no good and was going to dig them up!! You have put my mind at reast, thank you, I am now going to leave them and see what happens.
                            Another query that I cant find an answer to is, can I grow the broad bean aquadulce in a large container? I wanted to pop them in the ground but I have onions/ garlic everywhere and I am told they dont get on, also I only have a small bed which is at the moment full of brassicas.
                            Any advice appreciated!

Comment

There was a question on another thread about beans and alliums not getting on - I had heard that myself but someone - I think it was Zazen - said that she'd grown them together and they'd been fine. Dunno about pots though, but I'm sure someone will.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X