Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Smile by Fothergills

Hi there,
    This year I grew the wonderful Smile potato from Fothergills, and it was soooo brilliant that I wanted to grow it again, but I can't find it, all the major companies don't seem to have it this year. Does anybody know why it's disappeared or if I can find it elsewhere?

Many thanks

Eden

Ooops, finally found them at Marshalls

Comment

Thanks Eden, I grew these too and they were a hit with the family and definately want to grow them again next year.
      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Do they taste good? What is the yield like?
        Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

as to the taste, good. As to the yield, the best of the 3 potato varieties I grew, I dug up a bit early and had a full bucket from a small seed bag.
          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I bought some from Homebase for Madmax to try but he never got round to planting them (and I forgot with all the others I had).
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Thanks for this guys - I saw this variety in the new Marshalls catalogue and wondered what they were like, I'll now give them a try.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I ended up planting out my tubers much later than I should have done and so was expecting a poor crop, but I couldn't have been more wrong! The spuds themselves are a really good size and have hardly any of the piddling little taters you can sometimes get left with some varieties. The haulm is very short and so they don't go over and are so much easier to weed around. The potatoes have stored well but we've used them up so quickly they were only in the garage for less than 2 months and they've all gone! I've grown potatoes for over 10 years and each year I try to grow ones I've never grown before, and Smile were the best by far. For roasting they were fab, beautiful and crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy in the middle, also brilliant for chips, baked, boiled and mashes, an all rounder and very recommended in my household! Ermm, I'm not earning commission here - honest! They also had no slug tunnels in them but my Pink Fir and Yukkon Gold did, so the slugs left them well alone too, hurrah!
                Last edited by Eden; 07-10-2009, 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling very poor!

Comment

Originally posted by Eden View Post
                  I ended up planting out my tubers much later than I should have done and so was expecting a poor crop
                  I'm a bit further north than the majority here so I'll always be a bit behind you folks.I planted my tatties in mid-May-I thought it was late but I was explained by somebody with more experience"no point in planting potatoes too early-if it's too cold they won't grow anyway".
                  I didn't know what to expect(yield like) as I've never grown tatties before.I was very nicely surprised

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X