Quinoa Yuk!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't grow any, I am corny enough !
    (And I can't digest it. But others at the allotment in Aberdeen manage as long as they take enough care watering it etc.)
    No chance where I am now anyways, too high and too short a growing season. Maybe in thirty years time...
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I've never grown it but have eaten (small quantity of!) the shop bought stuff. It's another of those 'Lost Crop of the Incas' things. No wonder they lost it. I bet they kept chucking it off cliffs and leaving it on buses. I found it very cardboardy. Rice has a delicate flavour. Spuds are beautiful. Quinoa is nasty.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

No wonder they lost it. I bet they kept chucking it off cliffs and leaving it on buses.
        PMSL
        Must confess, I wouldn't eat it for the taste, although sometimes even my thick-as-two-short-planks taste buds detect something nutty about it...
        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Many moons ago OH and I did a vegan Detox diet - we only lasted about 3 weeks as it was too 'alien' to our decidedly omnivorous tastes, but this Quinoa recipe was really rather nice. The Cinnamon gives it a bit of a flavour uplift.
          I left out the cardamom pods & courguettes as OH can't stand them.

2 tbsp water
          1 chopped onion
          1 stick cinnamon
          4 cardamom pods
          2 crushed cloves of garlic
          1 chopped red pepper
          2 courguettes, sliced
          8oz/225g quinoa
          1 pint veg stock
          9oz/250g cooked chick peas (oe a 400g can, drained & rinsed)
          2oz/60g toasted flaked almonds
          2oz /60g pumpkin seeds

Heat the water in a large saucepan & saute the onion with the cinnamon stick & cardamom pods for 2 mins.
          Add the garlic, peppers & courguettes & cook for a further 2 mins.
          Add the quinoa, veg stock, & cooked chickpeas. Stir & bring to the boil. Reduce heat & simmer 20 mins until the liquid has been absorbed & the quinoa is cooked.

Pile mix onto plates, scatter over almonds & pumpkin seeds & sprinkle with chopped coriander or parsley.
          Many people have eaten in my kitchen & gone on to lead normal, healthy lives.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X