No announcement yet.

Onion sets-Autumn or Spring ones?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow a few autumn ones and a lot more spring ones. Nice to have some early ones from the autumn sowing but I want more to store and use over winter and it's nice at this time of year to go out into the garage and get some of my spring ones from storage.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've never had any luck sowing them, either. Might try again in nodules, in the Spring, as it was hard having to BUY onions recently!! What a smashing idea about the pulling from the middle/courgette. I'll do that!

Comment

This is my second year growing from sets. last year I lost a few but not sure why. I have planted again this year but I have protected with a home-made mini tunnel that covers the whole raised bed. I am glad to say ALL sets have taken and doing well 50 white, 50 red and about 15 garliccloves of. I have taken photos but can't find a facility to bring them onto this site.
        Last edited by Ken the Chef; 07-12-2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: the nornal spelling errors
        You grow it; I'l tell you how to cook it

Comment

In my first year I planted Autumn sets, but struggled to get any of them through the winter - even on raised beds, I think it was just too wet, and they all rotted. Last year I did Spring planted sets and had about a 90% return - much better.
          I've just bought myself some white Autumn sets, but I think I'll start them off in modules for safety, and then get some red Spring sets for next year as well, coving all my bases.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X