No announcement yet.

Which squash are worth the trying?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yikes! Chris we've got millions of hubbards - we wern't sure if they were ripe or not so have decided to try one this weekend. I will put the jigsaw on charge. If that fails, we have a chain saw......
    We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
    Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

[QUOTE=Lavenderblue;538537]here are a few pictures of our squashes. I am quite proud

i should think you are,they look great,no comment on the chain saw ones lol,just glad i know now before i waste money and space lol,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

They look great Lavendarblue! I get my harder skinned squash open using a large bladed knife. I bash the back of the knife with a steak tenderiser - please don't tell health and safety

Can I recommend Acorn squash - i think the one i grew was table king. Compact plant (3' square), produced 4-5 green tapered squashes around 5-6" long. I cut them length-ways, scoop out the few seeds they have, and to the seed cavity add butter, salt, pepper, pinch of cumin and coriander and then baked in the oven. Absolutely delicious! Tastes like sweet potato. Each is enough for one person.

I will be growing plenty of these plus other compact acorn squash - Harlequin, Bush Cornell's delicata.

Comment

Ooh.... I'll have to try that recipe on a Festival.... roast a whole one in two halves, eat one, soup the other for the next day....

chrisc

Comment

Originally posted by stupot View Post
            I get my harder skinned squash open using a large bladed knife. I bash the back of the knife with a steak tenderiser
            I used to do that, but a bit dangerous.
            Now I microwave it for about 5 mins to soften the skin a bit.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My squash bounty!

I may be a little sick of squash by the time I eat this lot.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow! They look good stupot. What are the blue/grey ones on the rhs & middle/back and the small yellow striped ones on the front lhs?
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 01-10-2009, 07:22 PM.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have just come home and have spent the day harvesting my squash.
                  Waltham BNS did really well, must have at least 15 fruit and another squash, no idea what it is as the labelling was somewhat dubious, again at least 15 of them too. Just ate one of them in a stew for tea, and it was lovely.
                  Plus, I must have at least a dozen Serpenta di Sicilia, which is a 2m long courgette.
                  What I'm going to do with that lot I have no idea.
                  Bob Leponge
                  Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Hi SBP - the bluey grey squash is a Blue Hubbard and the small cream/orange stripey pumpkins are Hooligans. There were masses on the plant. Haven't tried to eat these yet.

Comment

Cool. & what is the 'spotty' green & white one behind them?
                      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 01-10-2009, 09:31 PM.
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by stupot View Post
                        Hooligans. There were masses on the plant. Haven't tried to eat these yet.
                        I'm really liking them ... quite a dry texture to the flesh, yummy though. They take up a lot of space (little hooligans), but you get lots of them. Dead cute
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

That's a Harlequin squash.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X