Leeks. How much of the stem do you eat?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alice View Post
    No it doesn't make you tight Alison, it makes you very sensible. I boil bts of veg not getting used with parsley stalks and anything else going to make vegetable stock. I use the whole leek, only discarding the very roughest or damaged bits. I've got some cooking now in the tomato - vegetable soup. Some of my own pasata is in there with my own carrots and spring onions. And I've got onion and garlic bread going in the breadmaker to go with it. I've got some of my own potatoes from the freezer (saved them for the ocassion) and my squash and my own mint sauce to go with the lamb. And there's a raspberry fool to follow. I think dinner will be allright tonight.
    Making me salivate there Alice, all I can taste is three day old gammon!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hope your gammon was OK Snadger. It's traditional in Scotland to have something special for dinner on New Years Day. In the good old days we had the meal just after midnight on Hogmanay(we got all dressed up in our finest for it) but I don't think anybody does that now.
      The potatoes from the freezer were excellent. I got that tip from someone on here - really sorry can't remember who. I put some in as insurance policy against failure of my buckets to make sure I had some for the occasion. Just as well as I went away to Spain in October and left my buckets and they drowned. Live and learn. I'll lift them into the greenhouse next time.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by supersprout View Post
        Toilet rolls make good modules and they rot down into the soil. I'm an enthusiastic convert to modules:
        Every time I use toilet roll tubes they seem to develop a white mould a bit like cotton wool.....is the the toilet roll?
        Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Hi Alice, can i ask how you froze your potatoes? did you par boil them first? and did you eat them roasted or boiled? thanks
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

the toilet roll will rot down indeed.

Comment

Hello Hans Mum, the potatoes were Charlottes. I washed the skins off them and par boiled them about 5 minutes. Then spread them out on a tray to cool and put them in the freezer. Once frozen they went in to a freezer bag.
              Today I defrosted them, put them in an oven dish with a little olive oil sprinkled over and into the oven for about 30 minutes. Very lovely they were. Nice to have own potatoes for new year since buckets had failed to deliver. Do give it a try.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Leeks....eat the whole thing.Only occasionally,that I remove first few leaves if been nibbled by bugs!

Comment

I thought I ate all of it, but I think I'm with Snadger and eat three quarters. How odd!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Defo eat the lot, and if the outer leaves are a bit tough will use them in a stock - does this make me tight?
                    No, it makes you sensible and thrifty.
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X