• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    ^

yep
    Happy days, thanks

Comment

grrrbloodybadgersstupidgovernmentdon'tunderstand/orcareanythingaboutthecountrysidegrrrr

No no I'm not bitter or jealous at all..... enjoy them do!

grrrfiftyplantsflatenedagaingrrrr

Comment

Really pleased with mine ,as well. First time growing and just put 9 plants in as I haven't got loads of room but will definitely be doing them again next year- they look really nice as a plant , I think they're quite decorative. Mine have got 3/4 cobs on each- isn't that normal
        Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by lettucegrow! View Post
          Mine have got 3/4 cobs on each- isn't that normal
          My Lark have 2 cobs each ... Double Standard have one good one, and one small cr@ppy one

I leave them to stand over the winter ... to shelter ladybirds etc. Also, they compost down easier if the frost has been at them.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I only tend to get one cob on each - due I suspect to our more northerly climes - but when I were a lass (cue violins) it was only one summer in 3 you got a crop at all.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I planted mine far too close than everyone and their uncle recommends; and I've had too much to cope with.

I also planted some from the States; which wasn't even bought until April and sown in May and they not only caught up with but overtook the earlier, delicately mollycoddled yellow and bi-colour corn; and have huge cobs on them - but I'm leaving them in the ground to mature and dry out for autumn and winter decoration

Comment

and I picked another six today
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  and I picked another six today
                  Lucky you, our local Badger set got ours today-and they weren't even ready!!!

Comment

This year has been good for corn - I planted 25 down the allotment and have just picked 27 with more to come.

Just as well really as we've had the vandals round - thankfully they left they corn (but kicked in all my fruit, shed, greenhouse.......)

I've blanched most and frozen but they won't last long if greedy teenager has anything to do with it.

And while I've the hang of the photo doda upload thing - this carrot tickled our fancy (it was one carrot growing through another)
                    Attached Files

Comment

We picked our first 4 today, Early Bantam that were brought back from Tennessee in April. Popped them straight into a pot of boiling water and served them with butter and salt. I wouldn't have believed how good fresh corn could taste, even my OH (who is the master of understatement) commented on how good they were.

Comment

I planted 10, 6 managed to grow and there doing really well, the pigging slug got the rest.

Comment

Hiya.

I'm delighted with my 20 plants grown in polytunnel - they really wouldn't have survived the winds here. I have 2 on most of the plants and they are just turning pinky / brown. Tried one today and it was sweet and delicious no tough skin at all. Kids ate it like there was no tomorrow so it must have been good.

Think I'll leave it another week or so and see how they go - I did the thumbnail test and was still clear but still delicious? Although I've only got Lidl 15p corn-on-cob to compare it to.

Also got babycorn which was delicious raw straight from the plant but I don't know if I will bother next year with this as it's not very big and seems a lot of plant for not much produce.

Jen x

Comment

LMAO @ you're carrots Rogesse

You can't possibly eat that now.

Wren

Comment

Sweetcorn has been amazing this year, but I suspect location has had a lot to do with it. From the above posts, anywhere from about Derbyshire and South-East has done well (??).

We've been lucky for the heat and dryness, but it's buggered up peas and potatoes. I only got half a sack of spuds this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X