No announcement yet.

What's Your Favourite Thing To Grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a sweet tooth so mine has to be the pea, they are just so sweet straight from the plant, podded and eaten raw. Managed to keep mine going till the beginning of October this year.

Ian

Comment

First -Home grown Tomatoes, Second - Peas and Third - Carrots. Took me ages to get a decent crop but this year they have been great
      http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
        number one has to be fresh tomatos ,straight from the bush,closely followed by butternut squash,I love the vigourous growth and the way the skins ripen to that buff colour.Eating them in winter is like opening a little piggy-bank of allotment sunshine in the dark days of winter.
        I am also developing an unhealthy obsession for growing larger and larger onions.
        Check out ebay then.... there's some proper monster seed for sale (expensive though) but also Kelsae, Spanish Giant and Russian Standard.... I'll be trying those three side by side this coming year.....

For me I guess onions, especially the bigger ones and the odd ones like tree onions or the wacky flat italian ones... squash too this year,

chrisc

Comment

Potatoes
          Carrots
          Parsnips
          Courgettes

and garlic garlic garlic
          My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Broad beans I think - I love tomatoes, the courgettes are wonderful if they grow (but don't taste that different from good shop-bought)... love beetroot and salad - I adore the loose-leaf italian chicories but my other half doesn't :-(
            S

Comment

For some bizaar and unknown (to me anyway ) reason I have managed to do very well with houseplants this year, including taking cuttings and getting them to root...
              Strawbs are the only thing other than that I have grown successfully. But I must add that I planted, as an experiment, some broad beans in pots, and they are shooting up really well.

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                I enjoy growing all veggies but my special delight is home grown fruit. Keep the nasties off with nets not chemicals and nothing from the supermarket tastes like a raspberry or a strawberry straight off the cane or plant. But my OH's greatest pleasure is a Cox's Orange in early November which tastes like an apple should. Do you remember those French Golden 'Delicious' that the supermarkets flooded the country with a few years ago? Golden 'Orrible more like it.
                Sarraceniac I would agree with you, although I am a complete novice, the one thing I am really looking forward to fruit more than anything else. Particularly the damson I always wanted. Just have to be patient and wait a few years for some fruit now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X