What AREN'T you going to grow next year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    As a nipper, if I didn't eat mine for one meal they were served up for the next!

Worked though, as now I'll eat just about anything!
    I knocked that one on the head by throwing up! And no, it wasn't deliberate... Honest.

Comment

• Having eaten the last of my baby corns last night I've decided that I'm not growing them again.

Essentially immature "normal" corn - you need to grow hundreds of plants to get a crop to last several meals.

I planted 12 plants (the same amount as I did normal corn) and it lasted us two meals - with one or two "cobs" per plant, whereas due to the substantial size difference the normal cobs have lasted several meals.

I will say, that when you harvest the baby corns, the silks (right word?) are exactly that - very silky and soft when you strip the cob.

So, when it comes to growing them next year, I'm out.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

• Aubergines - they only got as far as flowering; not sure about the peas/ beans things because some years I've had great peas and rubbish beans, this year I had great beans (both broad beans and runner beans) but rubbish peas...I'll probably try both again. I'm getting a bit fed-up with bolted spinach, but might try it in the shady bed. Potatoes in pots and the shady bed were poor - I'll try them in a sunny bed again next time. And I won't start off all my purple sprouting broccolli in the greenhouse next year, as it romped away and I have been eating mine since July/August and it's nearly done now...patience is a virtue I have yet to learn...land cress?? I've grown it before and it was lovely - this year it was really bitter - inedible! Not sure about persevering with that - and I had no luck with carrots so might give up on them too - limitted space, want to keep it for things that work.

Comment

• salsify....yuk! delicate flavour reminisant of oysters....yea right,tastes like washing up liquid

Comment

• Sprouting Broccoli,
            Curly Kale,
            Rocket.

All went to seed with nothing to show for the effort, not to mention 1 wasted raised bed.

OK I might try the Broccoli again, but i'm fairly sure I can live happily without the other two :-D

Comment

• late spuds,take up too much space for too much time without even being certain of any crop

Comment

• Originally posted by eye1der View Post
                salsify....yuk! delicate flavour reminisant of oysters....yea right,tastes like washing up liquid

Cheers for that - I just ordered some seed!

Still, the flowers are very pretty...

Comment

• Sprout fans!

Leave off the sprouts! Hmmmmm...

Anyone tried cooking them in red wine, soy sauce and a little honey.?.lovely!

I'm not growing radished, they get nibbled everytime or I forget about them until I find a cricket ball .. with nibbles.

I'm sticking to normal courgettes, the pattypans and the round ones are not worth the effort apart from novelty value.

Comment

• Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                    IWhat does surprise me is the number of people not growing because of failure
                    What surprised me is the number of people who aren't growing things agin because they don't like eating them! Well, why were you growing them in the first place then?

I won't be growing asparagus peas again; a tiny crop and even the very small ones were stringy. This could have been because it is too dry for them but on an allotment where I have to take all the water I use from home (and it's a large allotment at about half an acre) the crops need to be good to eat to warrant the effort required.

Let's hope for a wet winter (to fill the rain butts) or a wetter summer than this year.
                    Last edited by SarzWix; 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM. Reason: mending broken quote

Comment

• same as others, i wont be bothering with baby sweetcorn, i grew mine in the GH so i'd get an early crop - they nearly came through the roof and they werent even worth eating - over in no time!

i also wont be growing patty pan squash as they were rubbish! and i had no idea what to do with them either!

loved the BNS and pumpkins though so much more room for them - yum!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lovely Helen View Post
                        Beetroot - grew some fantastic ones, cooked them using a Delia recipe and then discovered I really don't like them!

Fewer Courgettes!!
                        Though I love courgettes, I agree with the beetroot, grew quite a few, all did well, but no one ate them
                        http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

• Sweet corn as it all comes at once and its only really worth munching if it is
                          as fresh as poss. It is cheap as chips in the shops when in season. It is also
                          a greedy veg and needs loads of water as far as I can see for decent cobs.
                          We all had a good laugh over my pathetic offerings this year.
                          Carrots dont seem to worth it either for all the defences required!

Comment

• Me too sushkin- I've decided to give up on it after 3 bad years- and now we live in a drier area ( in summer) there doesn't seem much point...although it's absolutely delish!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by stupot View Post
                              Leave off the sprouts! Hmmmmm...

Anyone tried cooking them in red wine, soy sauce and a little honey.?.lovely!
                              Might try that. I'll probably drink the gravy and then chuck out the sprouts...
                              Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacquie View Post
                                What surprised me is the number of people who aren't growing things agin because they don't like eating them! Well, why were you growing them in the first place then?
                                To find out if they liked them perhaps? That's why I'm growing stuff.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X