No announcement yet.

When to harvest Butternut Squash?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked my outdoor one yesterday - pulled as much up with the roots and stems as possible, and I've draped them in the polytunnel for now because we have a night time temp of 3deg forecast in a day or two, which is often colder since we're quite rural. Besides which, the foliage has started going mouldy now.

Can anyone tell me if it's better to strip mouldy foliage off please, or leave it on? Also the one in the tunnel is now covered in white mould, but still in the bed - dig it up or leave it in??
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Oh! I better go and check mine now... It's dark tho.. How urgently do I need to pick them? Can it be tomo night? I don't want to lose them to cold weather tho.. Anyone else down south growing butternuts?

Comment

I bit the bullet yesterday afternoon!

I didn't dig the plant up as I have nowhere to put the massive vines so I just cut off the fruit and left as much stalk as possible.

I was pleased to see a lot of the stalks on the BNS had started turning yellow and splitting so I've got a good few I think are ripe.

My windowsills are now covered in dumpling size squash and baby pumpkins!

Haul accounted for so far:

16 Jack be Little pumpkins (from 2 plants)
        15 Sweet Dumpling and Festival squash (mixed pack of seeds) from 4 plants

I haven't counted the BNS yet!
        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Ok,so maybe I shud pick mine tonight if I'm home from work in time. So I need to pick lots of stalk too,even if dead or mouldy?? Also, please could I have some advice on what to do with them once picked / how to store them as last year they all went squidgy and soft and started to go mouldy pretty quickly

Comment

I think you have let them dry out somewhere warm for a few days, then store in a cool, frost free place.

Comment

I'm thinking I'll leave my mouldy bits on for maybe 2 or 3 days kt, and then chop it off.. compromise solution .
              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Only the leaves on my plants had started getting mildew/mouldy stuff on they but I wouldn't keep anything mouldy, I would have thought it will just spread.

Mine are going on windowsills and the overflow in an airy cupboard with slatted shelves which is in an unheated room.

I prepped mine by wiping them with damp sponge and then drying them which also gave me a chance to check for any imperfections/soft spots.

I'll be using these one's first as they won't store as well. Then I'll use the rest of the unripe ones as the ripe ones will store longer... hopefully!
                http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Picked our Butternuts last night, left a long stalk on them and wiped them off with a very mild bleach solution, sat in the window in the kitchen for a couple of days and then I have to find somewhere to store 25.

Comment

Picked them!! I had more than I thought! and the last few weeks have made a difference, they've grown and got more orange even though I thought the plant had died down. Looking good!! So now I keep them inside for a bit, on a window sill?? in the shade or sun? and then store somewhere.... somewhere dark???

How do I tell which are ripe or unripe? so I know which to eat first??

I dont

Comment

Originally posted by kt6382 View Post
                      So I need to pick lots of stalk too,even if dead or mouldy? ... last year they all went squidgy and soft and started to go mouldy pretty quickly
                      No, you don't store anything mouldy, because the mould will spread.

So now I keep them inside for a bit, on a window sill? in the shade or sun? and then store somewhere.... somewhere dark?
                      Pumpkins and winter squashes: storing / Royal Horticultural Society

How do I tell which are ripe or unripe? so I know which to eat first?
                      1) colour
                      2) they sound hollow when knocked
                      3) the stem is hard

HOW TO TELL WHEN PUMPKINS ARE READY TO HARVEST? |The Garden of Eaden

Unripe anything won't store: if it's unripe but edible, you can always freeze it
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks, I looked up those websites.. My butter nuts have all hardened off now and I need to find somewhere to store them until I eat them. One of the we links above says pumpkins and squashes should be stored below 15degrees and above 10 degrees.. That seems to be too warm inside and too cold outside???? Where do other people store their squashes? I was thinking an heated room in my house,but probably over 15degrees... Also should they be stored in light or dark??
                        Thanks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X