No announcement yet.

Tomato blight, how I deal with it.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like your plants may be too far gone to save by cutting off blighted foliage tbh.
    The problem is, if you cut the green fruit off now and bring it inside, some will no doubt have the blight spores on them and it will spread to all of the fruit.
    I've done it, even checked the fruit everyday and removed all the blighted ones and still lost 90%.
    The best advice I would give is to use the green ones, for green tomato stuff, or leave them on and try to ripen them, checking the plants everyday and removing dodgy bits.
    That's from experience, but obviously others will have different views.

I don't think drowning the plants in water will make any difference, but I'm not an expert, I just think that the UK winters kill off any blight you may compost and for that reason don't worry about it.
    Last edited by womble; 23-08-2009, 10:04 AM.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      I find that often blight does tend to be a lot slower on toms than pots and have left fruits onto well cut back plants in the past and managed to get them to ripen.
      Absolutely, if I get blight on my spuds, I just cut down the whole lot, I don't try to sort it out by taking leaves off.
      Although this year I did slightly, I cut down half the bed which had a problem and left the other half growing for 2 weeks extra, seemed to work ok. Seemed to get rid of the blight as well.
      Not sure whether the blight which hit the side left, came from the removed foliage, or a new attack. I guess a new attack from the weather. But either way, blight fairly flies across potato foliage.
      "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X