No announcement yet.

Xmas Spuds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi broadway. I have never tried spuds from Cyprus I have to say. The reason they taste so good is because of the type of soil they grow in. It is the same with the soil in Jersey.
    One type of potato grown in 10 different soil types will taste differently.
    That is why I just stick to seed.
    Potato videos here.

Comment

What variety do they sell at Wyevale?

Comment

They had a few different varieties at my localish one , Pentland Javelin was one I think but sorry just cant recall theothers...

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          By all means give it a go................. I've tried three years running and hardly got a spud.
          Come to think of it I can't recall hearing of ANYONE on the vine who has went out on Christmas morning and picked enough for there dinner? *Ducks as loads of gardeners make a liar out of me*
          8 and half ounces of the tiniest spuds you've ever seen on boxing day last year. That was from two buckets!
          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by baggyman View Post
            What variety do they sell at Wyevale?
            My local Wyevale (A447 near Hinckley) doesn't have seed potatoes, I asked on Thursday.

Comment

The ones I got at Wyevale are Pentland Javelin and Red Duke of York.

Comment

i got mine from tattieman, will grow mine in my tubs that I used for earlies.....always grow em in the greenhouse or a sheltered spot on lottie..
                Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
                  Tattieman,

Obviously you know your spuds so a question.

I love Cyprus spuds and wondered if you've ever tried to go them?

Regards
                  Danny
                  The reason for their flavour and colour is the red soil that they are grown in in the Kokkinochoria region of South-East Cyprus.

They have even tried to grown them in South-West Cyprus, but even there the potatoes do not come out the same as the soil isn't red.

Red soil indicated a high level of Iron Oxide.

The varieties grown in Cyprus are Spunta, Diamant, Cara, Nicola, Marabel, Marfona, Filea, Liseta, Sieglinde and Charlotte. I believe Spunta is the most common.

Comment

Right,

Here's a question then! Can you buy soil from another country, for instance If I wanted to use some in containers?
                    Cheers

Danny

Comment

From: Defra, UK - Environmental Protection - Land - Soil - Further information

You may import soil into the UK from other EC countries without the need for any plant health documentation. Soil from continental Europe (excluding Belarus, Estonia, Moldavia, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine), Egypt, Israel, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia may be imported into the EC provided it is accompanied by a Phytosanitary ("plant health") Certificate which can be obtained from the Plant Health Authority in the exporting country.

The import of soil from all other countries is prohibited. Soil which is normally prohibited may be imported under a Plant Health Licence for scientific research only, and these licences involve strict containment and destruction rules. An explanatory leaflet on Plant Health Import Licences (PHI 1) is available.

Sadly, you cannot import their sun though!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X