No announcement yet.

Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A shame if you've lost your garlic Janeylass but I think if they were going to do anything they would be up. I planted mine in November and they're up 4". Why not dig one up and see if it's rotted with the wet.
    If they are it's not too late to plant some more. Even some from the supermarket in a container would give you something.
    A tip for next year might be to drill up the earth first - rake it up from both sided into a mound along the lenght of the drill then plant the garlic into the peak. You'll get better drainage that way. Hope you manage to salvage something.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I planted some in November too, in the polytunnel, and not a sign of them yet. So think I've lost them. The onions I planted at the same time are going great guns.

I do great a great harvest from the summer planting, and they store well, so may just stick with that.
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie
        What variety of garlic do you plant. I'm going to try and get a bag of bulbs from the Really Garlicky Co in Moray as they obviously do well this far north - not sure of the exact variety but they describe them as a hard-necked porcelain variety - for Spring planting
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
          Should I be concerned that my garlic hasn't appeared above ground yet? I planted it at the same time as my jap onions and they have 5 - 6" of growth. I'm sure last year they came up together...
          I bought some German Red garlic which I planted in November, at the same time I also planted a clove of Tesco finest. The Tesco plants are out of the ground by 4inches but the "bought stuff" is not showing yet!
          Last edited by Digger-07; 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM.
          Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Digger-07 View Post
            I bought some German Red garlic which I planted in November, at the same time I also planted a clove of Tesco finest. The Tesco plants are out of the ground by 4inches but the "bought stuff" is not showing yet!
            Strange that Digger, mine are the exact opposite, Tesco's just showing and Garden centre variety 6" tall. Planted same amount of each on the same day as a trial!

That Leeds Tesco branch must be better than ours!!!!!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We must have been really lucky. As far as I can see, we have lost none so far. Unfortunate that they were planted in odd spaces so they are all over the place!!!

Comment

I've got about 8 bulbs left from this summer's harvest, so I'm going to plant a couple of those, a supermarket bulb and a couple of garden centre ones (as soon as I've had this baby). We go through a lot of garlic normally. I did well last year, which is probably down to well drained sand!
                Kris

I child-proofed my house, but they still manage to get in.

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

My first crop of garlic went in the ground just after Christmas. I got the garlic lover's pack from the garlic farm. It turned out to be an awful lot of garlic, I have a huge (well, 4 by 16 foot) bed of it. They are just starting to poke out now. Most exciting. I am particularly entralled by the elephant garlic- the three cloves I got were huge, I can't wait to see the full bulb. I won't be able to bring myself to eat it though- I want more!

As for the rest... I think the supermarkets will see a drop in sales following July's harvest.
                  Last edited by rhubarbontoast; 08-01-2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Poledragon View Post
                    I've got about 8 bulbs left from this summer's harvest, so I'm going to plant a couple of those, a supermarket bulb and a couple of garden centre ones (as soon as I've had this baby). We go through a lot of garlic normally. I did well last year, which is probably down to well drained sand!
                    Hello Poledragon, sorry if I missed something, but welcome to the vine, and congratulations. When is your 'sprout' due? You should be in good company here, plenty of seedlings in progress this year! Best wishes,

Comment

Sprout is due next Monday! The whole garden has gone to pot in the meanwhile - I cant wait until I can get back out there and do something useful.
                      Kris

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

Originally posted by Poledragon View Post
                        Sprout is due next Monday! The whole garden has gone to pot in the meanwhile - I cant wait until I can get back out there and do something useful.
                        Don't know if you will have much time/energy to be online tween now and then, but warm thoughts to you both. Hope all goes well. Do post again when you can.

Comment

Thanks Jane
                          Pretty much all I'm doing at the moment is spending time online and planning my garden! Haven't got the energy or wherewithal to do anything else, tbh.

I do want to try and get some garlic in before the end of the month though, so I hope the sprout hurries up and hatches!
                          Kris

Muddy Musings - a blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X