No announcement yet.

Tomatoes turning

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have my first three ripe toms! Maybe a little less green chutney this after all.

Comment

Why am I still buying supermarket tomatoes?

Tis with gritted teeth I buy yet another box of supermarket value bullets commonly marketed as tomotoes. My own outdoor varieties add microns to their size each day...........what are they doing with all that water and regular feed? They are green, as green as my untended lawn after the monsoon summer we have had here. If and when they turn ( wishful ) I'm not going to feel summery anymore.....the kids will have gone back to school and it'll be dark at 8pm........the evenings will have a chill in the air, leaves will have started to fall, there'll be konkers on the trees!! . Thats not how or when I envisaged gorging on fresh bright, juice dripping fruits ( ala jamie Oliver paradise bubble world)..............my salads were to glisten red,yellow,purple in the deep summer sun.........instead we'll probably end up making batches of chutney........chutney!

I gotta get a greenhouse and start sowing straight after Christmas Dinner this year!

Comment

Just noticed amongst the tangle of toms in my greenhouse that the Aldi mini plum toms have all formed mini trusses and are beginning to turn. Can't wait to taste these from a saved tomatoe seed.
        BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
        Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

How do I know when a Black Russian is ready??? First time growing them!!
          thanks
          S

Comment

Originally posted by salilah View Post
            thanks
            S
            If it's anything like my Cherokee Purple it goes the colour of a bad bruise and the only way to tell if it is ready is to squeeze it...I was waiting for the damn things to go purple but it seems they should really be called Cherokee Muddy Red, Purple and Browny Tomatoes

Maybe yours are Muddy Red, Purple and Browny Russian Tomatoes?
            RtB x

Comment

Originally posted by salilah View Post
              thanks
              S
              If it's anything like my Cherokee Purple it goes the colour of a bad bruise and the only way to tell if it is ready is to squeeze it...I was waiting for the damn things to go purple but it seems they should really be called Cherokee Muddy Red, Purple and Browny Tomatoes

Maybe yours are Muddy Red, Purple and Browny Russian Tomatoes?
              RtB x

Comment

Originally posted by hsthst View Post
                Tis with gritted teeth I buy yet another box of supermarket value bullets commonly marketed as tomotoes. My own outdoor varieties add microns to their size each day...........what are they doing with all that water and regular feed? They are green, as green as my untended lawn after the monsoon summer we have had here. If and when they turn ( wishful ) I'm not going to feel summery anymore.....the kids will have gone back to school and it'll be dark at 8pm........the evenings will have a chill in the air, leaves will have started to fall, there'll be konkers on the trees!! . Thats not how or when I envisaged gorging on fresh bright, juice dripping fruits ( ala jamie Oliver paradise bubble world)..............my salads were to glisten red,yellow,purple in the deep summer sun.........instead we'll probably end up making batches of chutney........chutney!

I gotta get a greenhouse and start sowing straight after Christmas Dinner this year!
                Is this a Wirral thing then?
                Nell

Comment

Really chuffed this year with tomatoes. We have been eating them for weeks. We have had sungold (yum, have trouble getting these from greenhouse to the kitchen!), balconi red, tigerella, stupice, cherry, morgage lifter and today picked about six snow white.

Lots more to come but will definately participate in the early growing experiment again next year its worked great for me this year.
                  http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Some of my gardeners delight in the greenhouse are starting to go red at last

Comment

At last! i have a small weird tomatos ripe - no idea what sort they are but errm...they are male! and lots of Galina yellow ones. these taste really lovely, I am going to seedsave these and grow them again.
                      We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                      Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

In the last week my toms have gone mad producing quite a glut but I love them so its great

Heres some of them
                        Attached Files

Dig for victory!

Comment

Out of approx 100 toms in my tunnel, many of which are full size I only have a couple of red ones.
                          Is there a danger of them not ripening? Or do they generally get there in the end?

I have been looking at the recipes for chutney!

Comment

I found that once the first ones started the rest seemed to get going a week later. You have lots of time still left. I would think that the end of September would be the time to think about picking off excess green ones for chutney. But if you like green chutney a batch now would not hurt - also keep an eye that the green ones remain healthy and no signs of rot on them.
                            BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
                            Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

I'm beginning to think someone mixed the Tomato seeds up at Suttons as my Ailsa Craigs are still very, very green BUT are the size of Beefsteak tomatoes!!!!

My poor hubby is desperate for them to ripen so he can have them grilled with his fry-up or the T-Bone steak he seems to think we're going to be getting, to do them justice

The Gardeners Delight are abundant, red and delightful - at least that's what my 2 little girls think. I wouldn't know, as they rarely make it as far as the house .

Regards
                              Reet
                              xx

Comment

My tomatoes keep growing and growing, but it's only now the first one is turning.
                                It's supposed to be a green tomatoe to be picked when the outside turns yellow-green, but I have seen somebody kept them on the plant until red outside, but they'd still be green inside. So I am unsure as to when to pick it.

Any insight?
                                Attached Files
                                http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X