Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    No lid = lots of sunlight = green water
    our tanks on the lottie are open tops, lots of green water,but it doesn't smell and the plants seem to like it.I'm not sure but the algae probably provides some more nutrients to the plants

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
      stagnent water will stink,id rather leave the lid off,at least when it rains your water will get a bit of a refresh
      You don't need to leave the lid off - the water will be refreshed by the new rainwater running into the butt from the downpipe.

Comment

What do folk with goldfish in their water butts do in winter? Are they ok in there when the tubs freeze over?

Comment

Originally posted by Noodles View Post
          What do folk with goldfish in their water butts do in winter? Are they ok in there when the tubs freeze over?
          Fine, if the water is deep enough, and the freeze not too long, they are just fine (mine have lived for 4 years in butts)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Teaspoon of ***** fluid....stops the smell kills the midges lol

Comment

It seems a bit cruel keeping goldfish in the dark. How do you know they are ok? I haven't sussed out out to take the lid off my butt yet, so I don't know how much water is in it never mind how to get the goldfish in. I guess I'll have to throw my goldfish up on the roof and let it slide down gutterpipe into the butt. :-)
              Last edited by Joe; 08-08-2009, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Just back from lottie and emptied the butt - the smell was DIS-GUS-TING but nothing in there that I could see that caused the smell. Some little wriggly things which i think may have been from the mossies dont really know and lots of slime around thetop - yuk!! Anyway it has now had a dousing of milton so hopefully that is it, also made sure the pipe was fit better so not so much room for 'things' to get in. Fingers crossed.

BB

s

Comment

Originally posted by Noodles View Post
                  This last winter when the really cold weather set in, I popped a tennis ball into the water and that way it was easier to remove ice that had formed on the surface and allowed for oxygen to aerate the water. Other than that, I did nothing else. As already mentioned, the fish tend to swim to the middle or lower where the water is warmer
                  Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                    It seems a bit cruel keeping goldfish in the dark. How do you know they are ok?
                    Er, because they are still alive after 4 years?
                    Anyway, they aren't in total darkness, I have the lid covering 2 thirds of the butt.
                    If I had the butt tight-fitting, the mozzies wouldn't get in and I wouldn't need the fish anyway
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Did you use olive oil,or another type of cooking oil ? I've been reading that the other types degrade particules into the water rather than just putting a film on the surface if so this is what would have caused your smell

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X