Berner Rose tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
    Matina sounds a lot like Tamina (specially since I'm dyslexic!)

I'm trying PW's French Black and Sungold and a kind grape is sending me a couple of Black Cherry seeds. I'll have to goggle Ananas Noire, Golden Surprise, Falcorosso and Harbinger. What are Zazen's 'Collioure plum'?

Black Sea Man is a wonderful name.
    Yes - exactly the same variety -two different names, I'm growing them myself this year alongside Stupice, Jaune Flammée and Sophies Choice, all for the first time to try and get some decent extra early toms. With the laters I'm growing Tigerella, Black Cherry and an open pollinated Sungold for the first time as well of course as all the usual fixtures.
    Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Originally posted by King Carrot View Post
      Yes - exactly the same variety -two different names.
      I'm pleased I didn't order any then.
      I was keeping them in mind in case my old Tamina seeds were no longer viable (since the one I sowed 2 weeks ago has done nowt) but 4 of the 9 (I know - overkill ) I sowed on Tuesday have germinated today.

I've just ordered some Stupice, along with Glacier, to see which of the three works best for us.

Your open pollinated Sungold arrived from Canada then?
      The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Yes - exactly the same variety -two different names...
        Well I didn't think they were the same. Neither does the reviewers on Dave's

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Tomato Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Tamina' - Tamina

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Tomato Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Matina' - Matina

I agree they sound very similar but they weren't the same last year...

tomates_m - seems to suggest there are Tamina/Matina PL & RL varieties, which I take to mean potato leaf & regular leaf?

So maybe I got a pkt of each last year?
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Tatiana thinks they are the same. http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Tamina I read somewhere else that they were a German variety called Tamina, which was commonly used in Europe, and the name somehow got changed to Matina outside Europe. My Tamina are potato leaved. I was very impressed with them. They stood up to cold weather, strong winds and neglect and cropped very well.

Comment

Well maybe it depends on where you get your seed from, cos last year Tamina looked sickly and whatever they are I won't be growing the again. I have grown Matina from more than one source for quite some years...so make of that what you will.

Comment

Where did you get them from? Did I misunderstand or did you say they were tomato leaved?

Comment

I can't remember where they were from as when I ditched the plants last year I ditched the seeds too. I was growing them as I've grown, rated & recommended Matina for some years and wanted to compare the two as I thought the similarity in names odd. For me they were different. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                  Well I didn't think they were the same. Neither does the reviewers on Dave's

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Tomato Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Tamina' - Tamina

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Tomato Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Matina' - Matina

I agree they sound very similar but they weren't the same last year...

tomates_m - seems to suggest there are Tamina/Matina PL & RL varieties, which I take to mean potato leaf & regular leaf?

So maybe I got a pkt of each last year?

I don't know much about Dave's site but the descriptions are exactly the same Dr Carolyn Male wrote of them on Gardenweb "They are one and the same. I forget who it was who first told me that but it has to do, I think, with Matina being perhaps orginally called Tamina in Germany."

It's also worth bearing in mind that some seeds get crossed with other varieties, mutate and even get labelled incorrectly at some point so perhaps this could explain the differences you had with them.
                  Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

I don't know much about Dave's site but the descriptions are exactly the same ...
                    Except one says indeterminate and the other says semi-indeterminate.

Anyway why don't you try growing them both like I did and see what you think?
                    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 19-02-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvan View Post
                      I'm pleased I didn't order any then.
                      I was keeping them in mind in case my old Tamina seeds were no longer viable (since the one I sowed 2 weeks ago has done nowt) but 4 of the 9 (I know - overkill ) I sowed on Tuesday have germinated today.

I've just ordered some Stupice, along with Glacier, to see which of the three works best for us.

Your open pollinated Sungold arrived from Canada then?
                      Yes - took about a week to arrive and I've acutally started them off today. A second thought is I should be growing a couple of Sungold F1 to compare with and I haven't got any to hand - I'll see if they've any in the local shops tomorrow if I can - the choice is very limited here!

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                        Except one says indeterminate and the other says semi-indeterminate.

Anyway why don't you try growing them both like I did and see what you think?
                        didn't spot that I still suspect Dave's got his wires crossed though

In theory I would love to get some seed and try them both to see for my own eyes - just not this year as I've already got a very busy year (for me at any rate) planned on the tomato front

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X