Butternuts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gorgeousgrower View Post
    As a Kentish lass I feel compelled to add to this thread. My 3 plants have all started to set fruit! Not heard of that old country saying though Grubbygirl!
    Oh yes, it's a very old saying. So if you could just get a marker and put GG on one of yours I'll be over to collect it in a few weeks

Comment

I have another question...

My butternut has 4 squashes and the first two have changed colour from greenish to gold. Does that mean they are now ripe and won't grow any more? Should I harvest them now? In the past I have harvested when they have changed colour, but I've never had one bigger than an avocado either. These two are a bit bigger, but might they grow some more if left?

Comment

Mine are also growing but not flowering - but I'm not worried as this happened last year too. I had given up any idea of getting the fruit, then was rewarded with 6 lovely squashes in late September. Perhaps they just need a bit more time?
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by sgrech View Post
          Hi I am new to growing butternut squash, in fact I am a virgin with regards to growing any vegtables!

I have just returned from a week on holiday and found there are quite a number of fruits on the two plants I am growing, most are about 2" in lenght. So I am going to wait another week or so to see which fruit develop best before removing the others.

I have given the plants any feed as yet, so persumably i should begin now? I was planning to use my tomato feed?

I have also noted that some of the leaves have begun to exhibit a tinge of yellow, is this becuase of the lack of feed or some other issue?

Finally once I have choosen my "special" fruit to continue there life how do I stop the runneras?

Thanks in advance.
          Simon
          Yes, you can feed with tomato feed, it's good for any plant which produces fruit
          The yellow tinge to the leaves is probably down to feeding, you could also sprinkle a handful of chicken pellets round the plant if you have some.
          To stop the runners I just usually snip them off with secateurs, just beyond a leaf. They don't seem to mind it

Comment

I wish mine would now stop setting more fruit,I knew planting them in manure would be trouble

Comment

Originally posted by Pies View Post
              I wish mine would now stop setting more fruit,I knew planting them in manure would be trouble
              I wish mine would set fruit. Actually, to qualify that, I wish they'd flower!!!
              Last edited by maytreefrannie; 01-08-2009, 09:56 PM.
              My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X