No announcement yet.

How're your Aubergines doing ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have found my first two flowers have dropped off today. Would someone like to cheer me up and tell me they tend to do this before producing a beautiful crop of aubergines ?

Comment

I grew a dozen plants from two sowings.(different varieties)...slowly over the last six weeks every one has gone limp and yellow with some sort of root rot I guess...last one even had fruits forming...done something wrong...most irritating. I haven't had a decent sized fruit in 3 YEARS!!!! now...shan't bother again.

Comment

Looks like it's the year of the aubergine. Yours are just splendid Flobalob.
        I tried for several years with no success but this year I've got huge aubergines - I think it's the extra heat in the conservatory.
        And I agree with Digthatchick - it's the flowers with the thick stems that make fruit, the ones with wee weedy stems just fall off so you might as well take them off.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have one flower on my aubergine plant since last 2 days the others r still buds so cannot pollinate....I hope another flower blooms really soon so I can
          cheers Reks

Comment

Originally posted by Reks View Post
            I have one flower on my aubergine plant since last 2 days the others r still buds so cannot pollinate....I hope another flower blooms really soon so I can
            Pollinate it will itself, my first flower produced an aubergine

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
              Pollinate it will itself, my first flower produced an aubergine
              oh...How do you do that?
              cheers Reks

Comment

Just poke it a bit so the pollen is transferred from the yellow spikes around the outside to the longer spike in the centre

Comment

Here's mine, already had one off this one and it has three more growing plus loads of buds.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just poke it a bit so the pollen is transferred from the yellow spikes around the outside to the longer spike in the centre
                    that's easy..just did it...will keep a close eye on it Thanks
                    cheers Reks

Comment

Here's mine, already had one off this one and it has three more growing plus loads of buds.
                      hey, thats same as mine and has loads of buds too. Just the 1st two flowers dies and thats probably due to not being pollinated.
                      cheers Reks

Comment

aubergine envy is a strange and wonderful disease...I've got it too...they look fantastic...grrrr....

Comment

Mine are still small. Not sure how large these get. They are supposedly dwarf aubergines. Does that means the plant or the fruit?
                          Attached Files
                          http://onegardenersadventures.blogspot.com/ updated 10-03-2010 with homebrew pics & allotment pics

Comment

Still got leaves but no signs for flowers yet...

Comment

Good stuff all I bet you are proud. It's the year of the aubergine it seems.

I always had poor crops but even mine are doing well this year.

I read an article in the RHS mag on their aubergine trial - the variety you use seems to make a lot of difference. I have put in 2 of their recommended varieties this and I think that is what has made the difference for me.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/documen...e2008trial.pdf

Ann

Comment

This has made me want aubergines even more now! Had a breakthrough with mine last night (after some electric toothbrush attention last week) and two of the seven plants set fruit. Yay!

Alas the weather has been humid and four of the plants have now got black mould growing on most of the leaves. *staples hand to forehead*

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X