christmas spuds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• christmas spuds

walkedinto local graden centre today and they had christmas spuds on sale. ive picked up 3 charlotte to grow in a sack in the greenhouse.

what should i do with the tubers now and when should i plant them
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

I would keep them in the bottom of your fridge until the end of July and then plant them so that once they peep through the surface most of the blight period should be past.
    Potato videos here.

Comment

what would you recommend i add to the multi purpose compost that i will be growing them in. i have blood fish and bone or chicken pellets. i also have 5 yr old pony poo.
      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Thank goodness for poo.
        The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

I would do separate buckets with different fertiliser in each and compare results
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I got a seed catalogue the other day which had an offer on seed potatoes but there were rather more than i needed so i decided to try the local garden centre where the man told me that such things didnt exsist! Needless to say I will be looking elsewhere or buying the offer and being overrun by tatties!!

Comment

Originally posted by pinkprincess View Post
              I got a seed catalogue the other day which had an offer on seed potatoes but there were rather more than i needed so i decided to try the local garden centre where the man told me that such things didnt exsist! Needless to say I will be looking elsewhere or buying the offer and being overrun by tatties!!
              You could of course just save three or four of your own early potatoes and use them as seed (providing they are healthy)

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                You could of course just save three or four of your own early potatoes and use them as seed (providing they are healthy)

That's what I have done, 4 Charlotte and 4 Carlingford being chitted as we speak. (Well, as I type)

Comment

Sometimes I think gardeners new to veg growing think "Oh, what a good idea.......my own home grown spuds for my Christmas dinner!"

The truth is, I class myself as a 'seasoned' gardener and for the past three years my Crimbo spuds have bean a waste of time!
                  Maybe it's because of the climate in this neck of the woods, I don't know........I've tried them under polythene surrounded by frost preventing straw and in the unheated greenhouse both to no avail.
                  I shan't be trying them this year and can't forsee a time when I will............apart from if I win the lottery and can afford to heat my greenhouse!
                  I may just leave a few of my earlies in the ground and see if they haven't succumbed by Crimbo...with a bit of luck I may get a boiling!

By all means though, experiment, and I wish you all well.........
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X