5-a-day

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    Yeah - make sure my plate looks right - or else!!!

Composition was my speciality at art college!
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I try to average 4-6 a day. I should eat more but fruit can be expensive Im only 24 and have a wedding and house to save for Thats why ill be glad when my allotment is producing fruit next year!
      I hate slugs!!

Comment

I think i just underestimated my daily amount i'm vegan so basically apart from rice and pasta all i eat is fruit and veg , every meal has some form of fruit or veg in it. Tonight it will be a veggie stirfry and fresh fruit salad, Never worked out how much i actually eat.

Comment

one at breakfast
          2-3 at lunch
          fruit snack
          then 2-3 with dinner

i like colourful plates and 1 portion of veg never "seems" right!
          Last edited by Bramble_killer; 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I usually manage 3-4, but it depends, I have 'fruit-fads' where I eat loads of fruit and at other times I eat very little fruit, but always manage at least three portions of veg with supper.
            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I probably eat 6-8 portions of fresh fruit and veg a day, plus juice, dried fruit, beans/pulses etc, so usually more like 10 or 11.

Comment

not keen on fruit, although have been sharing lots of strawberries with the doog, and probaly only have 1 or 2 portions a day *cringe*

Comment

Not really a lovely of veg apart from chips and spuds/carrots with a roast. Fruit I only really like grapes, apples and strawberries

Comment

I've put 4. Although at this time of year it's usually more than that - I've had about 6 today already, in the depths of winter I end up eating much more potatoes, bread and other stodge and I might drop down to 2 - 3 portions.

Comment

I love the fact that only 1 person has chosen 5!

I think the people who eat more should send some to the people who eat less. Restore the balance!
                      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                      Snadger - Director of Poetry
                      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

3-4 but I have heard that eating them all at once (like in a salad for lunch) counts as only one, but hope that this a load of old shoe makers.

Comment

Mine varies from between 3-4 when i'm off work to 9-10 when at work as i mainly take fruit & veg to eat through the shift and a 12 hr shift is a long time....LOL
                          Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Comment

Someone told me that in America the recommended amount of veg a day is 7 portions! But there isn't even enough fruit and veg in the country for everyone to eat 5 a day. Madness. Maybe the White House veg garden will make up some numbers??

Comment

Some days I manage 5, many I don't. This is why I got an allotment.
                              My health is intimately connected to how well I eat - I manage Crohn's Disease using diet alone - so you may not count potatoes and the likes, but I certainly do, I know that if I miss out their nutrients I will get ill ! (Leafy veg and potatoes for maintenance of health, carrots and sweet potato for stopping inflammation, squash and cucurbits to improve longer-term.) Freshness is a large part of nutrition, with some veggies it is a matter of hours before I start to lose the benefit. (Potatoes, for example.) I can only assume I am pretty close to "instant starvation" with minerals, vitamins and other nutrients as I notice the smallest fluctuations - so I never peel or scrape skins off tubers or roots, and I usually steam rather than boil.
                              I've found the old dietician's advice to have lots of colours on your plate works really well nutritionally.
                              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I strive for five, just like all the grocery stores tell me to do. I do better when I am getting a fruit box delivered because many fruits in the stores taste awful.

On my recent trip to Greece, I noticed that many meals were based on vegetables and fruits. It was easy to get used to because it was everywhere. I loved it. On return to the UK, it is quite noticeable that starch and starchy veg is the order of the plate in most places, so I reverted back to my chip eating ways... It was March though and understandably, not much salad is growing here, but still...you would think restaurants could try a little harder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X