No announcement yet.

Teeny tiny garlic :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't it only hard-necked types that have scapes ?
    Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

I thought I'd planted a mixture of soft and hardneck, but they've almost all flowered now. Nice as they were, I'd rather they hadn't.

Anyhow, opinions on whether I should water them vigourously, sparingly, or not at all?!
      Garden Grower
      Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
        If you have a single bulb that has not divided save them and put them back in in Sept/Oct they will grow on and make a decent bulb next year.

Another question. If I lift a few of my garlic, or furtle around and check them, and they haven't split, can I just leave them in the ground to overwinter or should they be lifted for a few weeks?

Comment

My garlic did their normal trick and got serious rust on them. I previous years I have lifted them once the rust has a firm hold and have never had a good crop. One of the reasons I have lifted in the past was to stop the rust spreading to other peoples plots. However this year I thought I would just leave the garlic till the tops are completely died down regardless of the rust. They are still growing away although they aren't a pretty sight. However I did lift one yesterday and it is huge compared to previous years, so I think I have a really good harvest. Some was planted in Oct some in Feb both are doing about the same.

Ian

Comment

I just wanted to sympathise. These are my biggest garlic, the rest are marble sized

Will they not just flower if replanted because it's year two?
            Attached Files

Comment

can you eat green garlic - just harvested
              Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
              Independent Minds

Comment

Yes you can, so enjoy.

I have none this year as I forgot to plant some until too late.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

thanks Bramble
                  i went ahead and roasted some well my dear lovely wife did and it went lovely with our harvested today Edzell Blue tatties
                  Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

The OH lifted about 2 thirds of our garlic yesterday, they were all turning brown and falling over. One batch is huge, the cloves are massive too. The other batch is tiny.
                    The difference between the 2 batches is that the huge ones were planted in a fairly clay-y bed, the tiny ones were planted in my old carrot bed - compost/sand/topsoil mix. I still have a batch in the old carrot bed, the leaves haven't died off yet so still growing. They are going to be watered copiously for the next couple of weeks in the hopes of getting bigger bulbs!

Comment

hey thanks for the bday greetings the other day SarsWix!!!!!
                      Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

i planted my garlic in february - and they are bulking up nicely...

pulled one at the weekend, and it was separated into cloves inside, but not quite as strong as i'd have expected... but nevertheless, went lovely into a spag bol and some homemade garlic bread

anyway, some of my larger bulbs, the scapes have split open and it looks like there is another head of garlic growing... what is this? and what does it mean?

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
                          I just wanted to sympathise. These are my biggest garlic, the rest are marble sized...
                          That's what mine look like too. My second year of micro garlic

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
                          ...Will they not just flower if replanted because it's year two?
                          Good question. Though I suppose we've nothing to lose by trying it. I might just bung it in round the rose bushes rather than give them space in the veg plot. I shall try again with some more bought cloves there. Maybe one day we'll get decent sixed bulbs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X