What's eating my peppers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tiny caterpillars on my pepper

Hi, I'm new to gardening and was searching the web to see if I could identify the tiny caterpillars eating my pepper plant. I think I have the same problem as you- swiss cheese holes in the leaves, but I can clearly see the tiny caterpillars underneath. Does any one know what they grow in to? I'm quite happy for them to have a munch if they grow into something beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by jessamine View Post
      Hi, I'm new to gardening and was searching the web to see if I could identify the tiny caterpillars eating my pepper plant. I think I have the same problem as you- swiss cheese holes in the leaves, but I can clearly see the tiny caterpillars underneath. Does any one know what they grow in to? I'm quite happy for them to have a munch if they grow into something beneficial.
      Caterpillars make cocoons and become butterflies... but it all depends on the type of caterpillar. Apparently cabbage whites aren't good, but try to look up your species of caterpillar on google, then you can predict which butterfly it will become and look up whether or not it's beneficial to your crop.
      "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

Definately flea beetle, they are very elusive and pigs to catch!
        Caterpillars normally start eating at the edge of a leaf, and once started eat systematically at the same spot.
        Flea beetles eat a little, get bored, move on and eat somewhere else, creating a lot of little holes often in the middle of the leaves.
        To see, smear some treacle or grease on a piece of card and hold it about 4" inches above the plants, before shaking the stem. If they are flea beetles, they will jump when disturbed and hopefully stick to the 'sticky card'.
        If you try this, please let us know if you catch any!
        Last edited by pauldreed; 08-07-2009, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Ok so it's flea beetle or caterpillars lol. Would have thought you'd have found the cats i always do found plenty on my PSB this week even the smallest ones i managed to find. Never come across Flea beetle so no idea on that one so i would try the trap.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X