No announcement yet.

Sow parsnips in June, am I crazy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All very encouraging to me - I haven't managed to get them to germinate this year.

But I'm a trier, so I'll put some more down - I'd been thinking it was too late.
    My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      Any particular variety 2-sheds?
      I've tried Avonresister and Tender & True ... but the best is Gladiator. Germinated in "about" a week? 10 days max
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 22-06-2009, 07:58 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnetteJ View Post
        I think I heard somewhere that parsnips were difficult to germinate, I've been trying for a good couple to three weeks! I'm also having problems with my fennel too! I sowed some straight in the ground - I think about 20 - and only one germinated! I'm also trying that on the kitchen paper, but alas - no joy!!
        Parsnips take at least 3 weeks to come up. I think mine took even longer than that....... All 5 that made it that is
        I plan to plant more in pots in the next week or so hopefully they will do better with the warmer weather to help.

Comment

Patience is needed with parsnips.... and temperature.

In studies on germination at different constant temperatures the percentage germinations were...
          82% in 172 days at 0 degC
          87% in 57 days at 5 degC
          79% in 27 days at 10 degC
          85% in 19 days at 15 degC
          89% in 14 days at 20 degC
          77% in 15 days at 25 degC
          51% in 32 days at 30 degC

Mine took about 28 days outside.

You need to allow an extra few days to the above figures for good leaves to show above ground, especially if sown deep.
          The proof of the growing is in the eating.
          Leave Rotten Fruit.
          Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
          Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
          Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Also having a problem with germinating parsnips. Last year (our first with an allotment) they all germinated and were strong and healthy - beginners luck? Will keep trying with this year's crop.

Comment

I sowed a couple of half rows on Saturday to make up for the seedlings which were accidently weeded by a "helpful" child - mental note, although the radish I planted with the parnsips came up well, don't let any kids near them! Not sure how long the rest took to come through, think they were sown direct into the soil in April.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I started some parsnip seeds off between kitchen paper a few months ago and most of them germinated. the trouble I had though was sorting them from the paper because they grew right into it and some of the roots entwined. I also made the mistake of trying to transplant them on a windy day and they dried out very quickly as I was planting them. Since then I'd noticed that out of about twenty seedlings that I planted, only five have come good.

However, I had a go at germinating some more just over a week ago. this time though I got a bowl of magic crystals and laid a plate over the top of it. I looked at them yesterday and quite a few are germinating already, so I'll be transplanting them very soon hopefully.

Comment

This is great news! My earlies are coming out and I've been wondering what to chance in the space. I'll be sowing parsnips later this week!
                  http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I planted seeds into pots and into a plastic bag. I kept them in the house until they germinated then removed the bag. After a day or two I put them in the greenhouse.They are now transplanted into a bucket outside and are doing nicely. I haven't grown these before so I was quite pleased.I planted 20 seeds and 18 germinated.

Comment

My 1st lot in the bucket have just appeared

Comment

Originally posted by Kath View Post
                        I planted seeds into pots and into a plastic bag. I kept them in the house until they germinated then removed the bag. After a day or two I put them in the greenhouse.They are now transplanted into a bucket outside and are doing nicely. I haven't grown these before so I was quite pleased.I planted 20 seeds and 18 germinated.
                        Kath - did u plant them all into 1 pot or individual modules? and how big were the plants before u transplanted them?
                        cheers Reks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X