Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter squash

Hi,
    Just wondered what success you've had growing winter squash. I'm trying Festival this year. Thanks.

I grow butternuts every year (Harrier) with varying success.
    Golden Nugget and Mars did very well for me last year, storing almost right through the winter.

This year I'm trying Crown Prince, Hooligan, Hawk and a few others.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I am trying blue hubbard, buttercup and red onion this year. i also have two butternuts but I have never managed to get any sort of crop at all from them so I don't hold out much hope. Pumpkin-wise, we have got trick or treat and New England. I hope that we are as successful with pumpkins as we were last year - we ate the last one in March! Still if we get the hot summer we are promised then I might get lucky - but that means lots of watering.
      Last edited by Lavenderblue; 15-06-2009, 10:12 AM.
      We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
      Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

They are great, although for me last year didn't go too well.

This year I already have 9 fruits from 10 plants and there are loads more flowers on them so maybe a few more. The weather has really helped get them going this year.
        I'm aiming for 25 fruits, which will b ehung in my garage from October time.

Comment

They always seem to grow well for me so long as you can get them established without being slugged. Grew a mini pumpkin type (can't remember the name), a butternut squash and Harlequin squash last year and all were excellent, keeping well until about Easter when I ran out. This year have planted out some more Harlequin and Blue Ballet so will have to see how I get on.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Once you've got them though the early stages...like Alison says,keeping the slugs away...I find them one of the easiest things to grow.We try different ones each year,sorry I've not got my list nearby & they have odd names so will have to come back to you on what they are.
            My favourite is also the one that for some strange reason I always have trouble with germinating...Crown Prince.Don't know if I've just been unlucky & laid my hands on dud seeds or if others have trouble with htem?
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
              I always have trouble with germinating...Crown Prince.Don't know if I've just been unlucky & laid my hands on dud seeds or if others have trouble with htem?
              Me too.
              One pack didn't germinate at all, and this new pack is very slow.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks. Is it worth growing a mini winter squash in the GH?

Comment

Originally posted by irisgirl View Post
                  Thanks. Is it worth growing a mini winter squash in the GH?
                  Unless you have a massive greenhouse then I'd advise against it. Even the smaller ones get pretty big. I always start mine off in the greenhouse and then plant out when they're a decent size in 5" ish pots.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

This year I am growing Waltham Butternut, Harrier Butternut, Pumpkin Hooligan, Squash potimarron, Winter festival and Hunter Butternut.

The Hunter F1 seeds did not germinate at all so I rang Thompsons and they sent another packet!!

I have put them out onto the lottie and they seem to be doing really well. I had a terrible year with squashes last year and they didn't come to anything at all.
                    Last edited by emilymup; 16-06-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I got one squash (cobnut) last year and that was it! Despite the lack of success, I have planted out 4 plants this year, all grown from seed and hope that the better weather yields more success. I'm sure cutting off the only squash-yielding stem didn't help last year, d'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by SlugLobber View Post
                        I got one squash (cobnut) last year and that was it! Despite the lack of success, I have planted out 4 plants this year, all grown from seed and hope that the better weather yields more success. I'm sure cutting off the only squash-yielding stem didn't help last year, d'oh!
                        I only got one cobnut last year too, and it was pretty pathetic and small.
                        I'm trying again though, got another 2 cobnuts, and several other winter squashes, sweet dumpling, kabocha, blue hubbard, and the kids are growing pumpkins.

Comment

We're growing Pottimarron, which is truly one of the most delicious veg I've ever tasted, and Harrier butternuts. I did buy in the seeds for several types including a nutmeg squash and 'Lady Godiva' which you grow purely for its (shell-less) seeds. We were so carried away with settling in the chickens at sowing time though that I left them until next year.
                          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

My Dumpling and Butternut Squash are outside at the moment, I fear they will soon run out of space and was thinking if I could move them to where I currently have my onions after they have finished, I guess I would need to dig some manure and compost in before?

I also want to move the Pumpkin in with them as well.
                            Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X