No announcement yet.

Carrots Making me Loopy...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parmex are doing really well,but none of my other container carrots are.Dont normally have any probs and not changed growing methods so dont know whats going on.Seem to germinate then die off!

Comment

My firs sowing are rather patchy but a second sowing has come up near on perfect and will have a nice crop if the fly will allow me. Have some in some pots and they are ready for harvesting baby carrots.

Ian

Comment

i have still yet to manage a carrot after 3 years trying.
        this years effort, autumn king, nantes, chantenay. planted in one raised bed begining of march foliage about 6" high. same again in 2nd raised bed planted end of march about 2" of foliage.do i feel lucky?

a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

I planted some in a big stone planter and they are doing brill, the ones i put in the raised bed seem to take ages to come through, they are through now but way behind them in the planter, i dont understand why ?

Comment

After many years of the kinds of failure described in the thread, I have found the following method works for me (or has for the last 2 years).

I acquired an old water tank which I filled to about 6 inches below the brim with a mix of gp and garden compost. This raises the surface sufficiently high to see off most of the slugs and the carrot fly. I sow the seeds on the surface (pure gp compost). If birds are a problem it is easy to drape a net or strings across the rim of the tank.

Carrot seeds seem to take ages to germinate. I gave up last year and this year but both came through eventually. The carrots weren't prizewinners, but there was at least something to show for all the effort. It need not be a tank of course, it can be anything that raises the growing surface and creates a barrier to the slugs and fly. This year I am growing early potatoes in recycled tile crates. Thereafter I intend to use them to try for a second carrot crop. I use cardboard to block in the sides and bottom of the crate which eventually rots away (or can be cut out or ripped out) leaving access to the sides if you want to see how the crop is doing.

Comment

My first lot of seeds were slow to do anything, but the second sowing have over taken the first.

Comment

My carrotts seem to take an age to germinate but I have folage now being new to this I am interested to know about this root fly and how it gets in. I lost my PSB to what I believe to be some sort of root infection. This seems to be my biggest problem growing root veg as I dont know what is happening below the surface, I do have excellent folage on my beets, turnips and carrots though!
                http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by greengas View Post
                  My carrotts ...I am interested to know about this root fly and how it gets in.
                  There's a clue in the name. It's a fly; it flies in

The only real prevention is to use a barrier over your carrots - fleece or enviromesh etc. Carrot fly won't affect your PSB though ... that could be any number of things. Over-watering?
                  Cabbage root fly will eat the roots of brassicas ... the prevention is to put a cardboard collar around the stem when you plant them out.
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 16-06-2009, 09:09 AM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two sheds i am learning everyday
                    http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Are your seeds old packets as germination rates on carrots is rubbish when left a season you should always sow any remaining packets don’t leave them till the next season get them in a raised bed. I sow the same way as allot of others do in a wet drill where they will crop.
                      My tip is i have built a wooden frame around the raised bed which i have stapled fleece all the way round and on the top i leave one side un stapled and then stick Velcro to this side so i can open the side and tend to the carrots. It works a treat looks neat and tidy and coupled with that do your thinning out later in the evening when its windy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X