No announcement yet.

Male Courgettes Only - Help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my experience courgettes grow really quickly - pick them when they are around 4/5 inches long or a tiny bit longer. If they get too long - marrow size, production falls off.

As far as picking is concerned, without my trusty pruners, although I am not very strong, I have almost pulled a plant out of the ground trying to yank a courgette off and they also tend to snap off too! Mine never sealed off - just rotted on the plant.

My lady courgettes are around half an inch long and just look like swellings behind the flower head.
    A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

My courgettes are growing very slowly at the moment, but I expect they'll soon pick up speed. The first one or two rotted, I think they were too early and it was a bit too wet.
      Last edited by indigox; 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I've got 4 courgette plants in, but didn't know you get two types of flower. Guess I'd better google courgettes
        Love 'n' Stuff
        Babs

My Blog - My Little Patch Of Culinary Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by abby View Post
          How is the best way to harvest them when they are ready I am a newbie and never grown or eaten them before is a sharp knife the best way? Or brake them off.
          Abby - me being clumsy when I used a sharp knife to harvest my first courgette a few days ago I managed to cut off a perfectly good stem too!

Yesterday I used some pruning clippers and they worked a treat!
          Last edited by vikkib; 08-06-2009, 08:21 PM.
          http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Can someone tell me if I should be taking off the males please? I have both on my courgette but I'm not sure if I take the males off or leave them on. Many thanks

Comment

You can leave the male flowers on no problems but they are also nice to eat deep fried in batter also. Unlike some types of cucumbers, your courgettes need to be fertilised so even if you do pick some off then you need to make sure that there is at least one there when the female flowers start up.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by vikkib View Post
                Abby - me being clumsy when I used a sharp knife to harvest my first courgette a few days ago I managed to cut off a perfectly good stem too!

Yesterday I used some pruning clippers and they worked a treat!
                Thanks for all your helpfull info I think the clippers will be the best bet as I am frighting with a knife..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X