No announcement yet.

Leeks - do I need to sow again?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit behind with our leeks - only sowed them (straight into a raised bed) a few weeks ago although they germinated and looked ok when I watered them today. Once big enough will move them to their final place until they are ready to eat. (Still have some left from the ones that we sowed last year).

Comment

All my leeks (about 180) are now in individual pots waiting for the spuds to be lifted. They aren't pencil thickness yet but I have noticed a spurt in growth in the last week or so. They were like blades of grass when I potted them up.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Campobello View Post
        I garden on the east coast of Canada and started my leeks under lights in mid January but they have been transplanted into the garden for over a month now. My suggestion is that I agree with those who are saying, get them out doors into the garden where ever you have a little space available. Leeks are a great cool weather crop and I suspect the greenhouse is too warm for them. We even leave some in the soil over winter and when the snow melts in spring they are ready to eat.

My leek problem is a Snowshoe Hare and some of his friends. If I were'nt a vegetarian he might have been stew a long time ago. I've been talking to him for years and don't have the heart to have anything done about him. The leeks are in a raised bed and last night he was in the middle of them with me standing next to the bed. If he could talk I think he was saying, would you like a leek they are very good and there are lots of them.
        That's a nice post, thanks Campobello. I'm glad this question was brought up, I thought mine were never going to get past the grass stage but I'll persevere with the ready sown and sow a few more for good luck
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Parcel received.....YAY

*runs off to greenhouse to sow some seeds

*runs back

Thanks Miffy - you're a star - swapping's great [now hoping yours turns up all ok and the leeks haven't dried out]

xxx

*runs off again

In my excitement I forgot to flip the photo...doh
          Attached Files
          Last edited by zazen999; 30-05-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Whoop, whoop, exciting it is just like christmas getting little packages in the post.
            I hope the postie doesn't think i am up to anything dodgy, the post office chap did shake your packet and asked if they were wacky backy seeds!!!
            When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Perhaps they are...if you are addicted to onions.

YAY

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Leeks are very slow, don't worry about it. Mine have looked like thin grass for 3 months now.
                Am so pleased mine aren't the only ones. I am so glad I found a few mins to log on tonight as when I was watering the garden earlier I looked at my leeks and was tempted to ditch them and start again In my case "Patience Grasshopper"

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda1 View Post
                  I sowed leeks into loo rolls about 6 weeks ago. They all germinated and within about 3 weeks they had developed into very thin seedlings. However, they have not moved on from this. I've made sure the compost is always damp but not too wet and they are inside an unheated greenhouse. Is this usual? Am I too late to sow another batch?
                  Get them out of the greenhouse and into the garden. You say you have nowhere to put them? .....Can they not be planted in a clump in the area they will eventually be when grown on?
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Done thanks snadger, Kate has also kindly sent me some which I have planted today so hopefully this is my leek problem solved. Thanks everyone for the advice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X