Best Onion for Pickling?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Onion for Pickling?

Think we've managed to get most of our seeds sorted for next year, but we've decided now that we want to do our own pickled onions, anyone offer any advice on which type of onions to get? Do we need a specific one for pickling, or do we just plant normal onions and pull them up once they've reached the desired size?

I can remember my mum making wonderful pickled onions as a kid, but she always bought the onions, so I'd love to go one better and do it from scratch!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

You could try Paris Silver Skin they are the little white ones. Shallots pickle well too. I've not managed to grow enough to pickle my own so I'm probably not the best to advise. Just think how good they'd be.
    *drool, drool, etc.*
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Thanks EB!

Will those be ok for the larger stronger pickled onions as well as the sweeter silverskins too? Mr D suffers with acid, so only eats the silverskin ones, but I love the larger strong traditional pickled onions myself! Mmm!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Better to use the small onions or shallots for the Stifado Mrs D!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Lol Snadger! Dont worry, we are planning on planting lots of onions, a whole bed 3m by 7m in fact, so should be plenty of small ones for Stiffado!! Onions are my fave veg, I use at least 6 or 7 a week easily, so want to try and grow enough to become self sufficient in onions!
          Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 05-11-2006, 08:45 PM. Reason: typing
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Try prisma shallots from seed. These grow into individual bulbs that are perfect for either pickling or (for the biggest) to use as traditional shallots. I have grown them for several years and find them to be brilliant for cullinary use and as a bonus they keep exceptionally well.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
              Try prisma shallots from seed. These grow into individual bulbs that are perfect for either pickling or (for the biggest) to use as traditional shallots. I have grown them for several years and find them to be brilliant for cullinary use and as a bonus they keep exceptionally well.
              Sounds good, where do I get them from then PW?
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thompson and Morgan amongst others Snadger.

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/list/shallots

Comment

Sounds like a good buy PW. We haven't got any shallots in yet.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Just had a look at them Piglet in the catalogue and I think I will give them a go next year aswell.
                    [

Comment

Thanks for all the advice folks, think we are gonna try both the Paris Silver Skins and Prima shallots next year, then decide which we prefer and go with that in future! Mmm! Sounds like a darn good excuse for me to make lots and lots and lots of lovely pickled onions!

Anyone got any really good pickling recipies? Possibly one for sweet silverskins and another for really strong traditional pickled onions?
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                        Thanks for all the advice folks, think we are gonna try both the Paris Silver Skins and Prima shallots next year, then decide which we prefer and go with that in future! Mmm! Sounds like a darn good excuse for me to make lots and lots and lots of lovely pickled onions!

Anyone got any really good pickling recipies? Possibly one for sweet silverskins and another for really strong traditional pickled onions?
                        Anyone visiting your allotments will just need to sniff the air to find you!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just thought of something else...you won't need rhubarb leaf stew or salt water to kill the caterpillers...you'll just need to breath on them to turn up there tails!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger!! You cheeky devil !!
                            [

Comment

Lol Snadger! Very funny!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X