Herb Garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herb Garden

Built a raised bed last year 2X1 M to show grandchild how veg grow. Placed in bed lots of compost (home made) and brandname bags. Soil very friable. Want to now turn into herb patch. Currently have lemon grass, rosemary, lavendar and bay around garden that will be transplanted in. Will also place in mint (in pot to stop rapid spread) and softer leaved herbs as time goes by. Will also use some space for salad leaves and onions for next year and also try tumbling tomatoes in pot that can be hung on trellis work at back of bed. What do I need to dumb down soil - or do I have to? and any other recommended herbs that others find children like eating?

Scotti that sounds lovely. Can't help you with the soil, but what about growing some nice peppery nasturtiums? Both the flowers and leaves taste nice in a salad and they look good wending their way through the herbs. What about some oregano? It grows well and can be used both fresh and dried (dried mine in the microwave - LJ's advice) and they can use it in their soups and on their pizzas? (I can't wait to be a granny and do this for my own grandchildren!)
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie, I'm a granny, and like you, couldnt wait to introduce my grandchildren to my hobby. I had them shelling peas, picking toms from the plant so they'ed know where they came from, and lots of other little jobs in the garden and greenhouse that i thought they would enjoy.
      Well i have to say so far, none of them seem interested. Hope you have better luck when the time comes.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have herbs growing in my front garden and my daughter loves nothing more that going outside to pick them for me when I need them. She also knows which ones are which. I have found Moss curled parsley to be an excellent grower this year and it has stood up the couple of frosts we have already had very well. I also have fennel and plans to increase the amount of herbs next year. Borage is a nice one, with edible leaves and flowers.
        Kirsty
        Kirsty b xx

Comment

I've ordered some herb seeds from Alan Romans, someone mentioned on an earlier thread that the seeds were 50p per pack, I've ordered sage, thyme, parsley, basil, borage etc. I'm going to have a dedicated bed for herbs as I love to grow them let alone cook with them. I particularly like the smell of lavender growing. As for your soil, I can't help I'm afraid I'm new to this but would be very interested in the answer.

Good luck!
          Bex

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
            I've ordered some herb seeds from Alan Romans, someone mentioned on an earlier thread that the seeds were 50p per pack, I've ordered sage, thyme, parsley, basil, borage etc. I'm going to have a dedicated bed for herbs as I love to grow them let alone cook with them. I particularly like the smell of lavender growing. As for your soil, I can't help I'm afraid I'm new to this but would be very interested in the answer.

Good luck!
            We did the same Bex! Although we do have herbs growing in a border at home we've now set aside a 10' by 3' bed for herbs only, its covered with weed control fabric and as soon as we've got some seedlings from the alanromans seeds thats where they are going to go! Some of the existing ones at home will also be moving down there too, so should make a nice attractive and useful bed in the center of our plot!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

It'll also draw in lots of bees and butterflies Mrs D.

Re the soil scotti, I don't think it will be too rich but generally herbs are very adaptable so I wouldn't worry and it will after all be a permanent bed. They won't generally require mulching. You might like to plant them through membrane and top with pea gravel which will help with moisture and temperature regulation. It has worked well for us although our daughter used to play with the pea gravel.

Children can be very fickle depending on their age and if they are not used to something they may initially turn their noses up so they may need persuading whatever it is.

Bronze Fennel will add height as well as colour and interest at the back in a corner. You could also think about lovage, chives and lemon balm (melissa) which will also need to be restricted. Thyme looks lovely. Think about buying variegated varieties to add extra interest. Sage is always great.

Remember if you are growing borage to pick it very young so the leaves aren't too prickly.

Best of luck and most of all enjoy it. It will attract lots of mini beasts which will be of interest even if the herbs aren't.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

My borage plants got HUGE!!! this year.

Grow Rosemary, lavender, parsley (curly and flat leaved), mint and chives in the garden, and my grandchildren love picking the leaves and doing the "smell test". They quite happily pick parsley and dandelion leaves for the guinea pigs, but I have yet to see any of them eat them themselves. My granddaughter loves strawberries, but will not even try tomatoes - she says they sting her mouth

Comment

I was going to say that too RL - my borage was quite a thug, a very pretty thug though. I was glad I hadn't planted in with the other herbs, but chose a spot on its own so I could let it go mad.
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Fortunately my borage didn't get too out of control this year. The clary sage on the other hand launched it's annual take over bid backed by the mugwort.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

Comment

I had to dismantle my herb garden as it got infested with couch grass and the only way round it was to lift the herbs!
                      If I ever get back into seriously growing herbs I fancy a herb 'wheel'! Probably edged with bricks and with eight spokes should just about suffice!

I used to like growing Bergamot for my 'Earl Grey' tea. My biggest problem weed was Golden Fennel which self seeded all over. When trying to get rid of it I always managed to snap the taproot and it kept returning, rather like a dandelion!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

To be honest borage is good for bees but not a tremendously useful herb. Lovage is a good pot herb for celery flavour. Thyme and rosemary are indispensible. Winter savory is another good all rounder.

Comment

I think as with everything it depends on what you want herbs for. I like having French Tarragon in the garden especially for adding to vinegar and making Chicken and Mussels (which I will post on another day in the recipe section).
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

Comment

Agreed. Tarragon is a must.

Comment

But it has to be French - more refined flavour. Unfortunately difficult to find seed and grow from seed but I've managed to get cuttings to root easily enough.
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X