Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loves it when i confuse people .... gets them on the same level as me

Comment

sooooooooo if i get a big tall triffid and i just leave it .... what is the problem?

Comment

1) It's harder to support, coz you've got big wavy arms all over the place
        2) The plants is so busy growing new arms, it can't be arsed to grow any fruit, or, it tries to grow too many fruit and none of them get very big or ripen...
        Last edited by SarzWix; 22-05-2009, 01:08 PM.

Comment

ok guess thats a don't be so stupid answer then lol .... so what if i pinched out the growing shoot when they get to a reasonable height?

although it is possible i might not actually have any tall ones lol ... too many types to google

Comment

I dunno, I always just pinch the top of mine off when they get to the greenhouse roof, or the top of the cane if they're outside. I suppose you could stop them when they're short and let them grow the sideshoots, but you'd have to stop the sideshoots when they got too long as well, I think, or they'd go triffid ish too

Comment

If you have a "triffid" type and leave all the side shoots then each and every side shoot becomes a "growing shoot" - not just the central one you started with.

Each side shoot becomes a tomato plant in its own right and will flower and grow green tomatoes - but all the food for all these many, many new plants has to come from the roots and stem of the single original plant so all the tomatoes only get a little share.

It's a bit like breast-feeding a baby; have one baby and it gets enough food, have two and they will both still get just enough to thrive but have 6 or 8 babies and they will be under-fed runts!!

"so what if i pinched out the growing shoot when they get to a reasonable height? "

You'll need to pinch out the tip of each any every growing shoot - there could be quite a lot !!!!!!
              The proof of the growing is in the eating.
              Leave Rotten Fruit.
              Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
              Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
              Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

When I started out with toms it was these illustrations that taught me what I should and shouldn't be removing

How to prune tomatoes in the UK, with pictures.
                http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/images...side_shoot.jpg
                Today's mistake is tomorrow's compost...

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                  yeah but you hadn't got any flowers either
                  Not a single one but............

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                  They most likely are sideshoots Fi, AP are terrible for them - I've had to take them off mine already, and I have no flowers yet either
                  SEE they arent meant to have 'em yet

*hopes Lynda gets eaten by triffids
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                    Not a single one but............

SEE they arent meant to have 'em yet

*hopes Lynda gets eaten by triffids
                    my triffids have loads *pokes tongue out*
                    if i do i have a card round my neck with your address on so they'll come to you next

Comment

Sheepish, I knew I'd seen the pics somewhere that showed what to take off, but I couldn't find them! Thank you for posting them

You two *points at Fi and Lynda* stop bickering or it'll be the naughty step

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepish View Post
                        When I started out with toms it was these illustrations that taught me what I should and shouldn't be removing

How to prune tomatoes in the UK, with pictures.
                        http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/images...side_shoot.jpg
                        thanks for that ... i guess i better go see wot types i have growing really

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                          Sheepish, I knew I'd seen the pics somewhere that showed what to take off, but I couldn't find them! Thank you for posting them

You two *points at Fi and Lynda* stop bickering or it'll be the naughty step
                          i'm already there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X