No announcement yet.

Parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got 40 loo rolls with 5 or 6 seeds in each and after 4 weeks there's only 10 peeping above the compost.

Looks like I'll be buying my parsnips from the grocer this winter.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

This time of the year there should be no problem with sowing direct as the ground has warmed up especially as you live in Surrey. I sowed direct many weeks ago and I have had good germination.

Ian

Comment

I sowed my snips directly in the ground about one month ago and loads have germinated. I dug a small trench for each row and filled them with compost and gave it a soaking and put the seeds on top of the wet compost sparingly (about 3 inch between each seed). I then covered them up again with compost and gave each row a final watering. I then kept them covered up with horticultural fleece until they were about 1 inch tall.

The seeds were bought arounf July 2008 and they were fine, thankfully.

Ed
        Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

Is it too late to plant them now?Asking because I got 2 packets from the seed supplier(they mistook parsley with parsnip).Nobody wants them in the seed swap so maybe I could chuck the seeds somewhere(goodness know wher)if it's not too late and think about them later(I could feed OH with them as I'm not a big fan of parnips).Unless somebody wants some seeds.

Comment

I would go for it. The seeds don't last so what have you got to loose. I think parsnips can be left in the ground over winter and they have the best part of the growing season still to go. That's what I am hoping anyway - I have just chitted some more because I realised I don't have enough.
            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thanks,if there's no takers I'll sow them at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by coreopsis View Post
                Is it too late to plant them now?Asking because I got 2 packets from the seed supplier(they mistook parsley with parsnip).Nobody wants them in the seed swap so maybe I could chuck the seeds somewhere(goodness know wher)if it's not too late and think about them later(I could feed OH with them as I'm not a big fan of parnips).Unless somebody wants some seeds.
                I've put some in today, because the ones sown 3 weeks ago are still not showing. They are in the fleece covered raised bed with carrots that I am harvesting daily. This lot I have sown outside, with gay abandon (well, praps not so much gay) and if they do a vanishing act, I too will be buying parsnips. Oh and I've also got some in a 14 litre bucket, but they are shy too. What is it with parsnips?
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X