first time growing pumpkins

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all

First post here and also first time growing pumpkins and I AM HOOKED!
    Planted seeds from a supermarket pumpkin that must be 6 years old now and nearly every seed came up, had so many had to give them away.
    Now I have 5 pumpkins on 5 plants in various sizes.

Have spent hours reading pretty much everything I can but most is of a US bias and their seasons are different than ours so am looking for some UK based growers to maybe answer some of my questions?

I germinated the seeds between March and June, when they sprouted, they got planted. Have read that these are vine plants and like a lot of room, mine don't seem to be that big, almost bushy, but the fruits are doing fine, however, some of the plants I have given away are now taking over their new home but have yet to bear fruit. Mine have one fruit per plant.

Have also read that flowers should be pollinated by July 20th? Is this right? Can a pumpkin of a decent size be grown after this date? (I think this was on a US site).

I hand pollinated the flowers, had more success with leaving the male in the female flower (or maybe the bees sneaked in when I wasn't looking) which may help someone else.

I planted them just for a laugh really, but as I said, am really hooked and will be growing a giant one next year, of which there is plenty written about.

How are everyone elses doing?

Regards

Pumpy

Comment

• i havent been on for ages been to butlins for a week with the kids and i havent had time to take any pics but i will do soon. darkcrystal your pumpkins look great i cant belive how big they are mine are no where near that size in the front garden my plant is in the middle of the garden its that big but in the back the plants are quite small but one plant has a quite big fruit on but the shape of this looks more like a marrow is this normal? the ones in the front has 4 fruits on but they are still yellow and small

Comment

• I left two small pumpkins on mine - these are now about golf ball size. I broke off a few other, marble-sized fruits.

I want to cut back the foliage and cut off the remaining male flowers but I feel nervous of doing the wrong thing in case I wreck the whole operation.

It's years since I last grew pumpkins and what I really want is one big one.
        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

• The largest one I have is about the size of a football and is just starting to turn orange. Two of the others had to be moved and are about the size of a tangerine now.

They do look like marrows until they start getting rounder and ripen.
          From what I have read, the taller thinner ones will be the ones to keep as they will grow the quickest, but as I only have one per plant I don't know for sure.

Pumpy

Comment

• well the one in the back garden is great looks dead like a marrow but i was possitive they were pumkins i will upload some pics soon ive just been so busy infact i will upload some pics tomorrow just to show everyone

Comment

• we have millions of pumpkins now, I have lost count. A few have started to turn orange already which is exciting stuff. We also have some Uchiki Kuri that are doing really, really well - we've got millions of those coming too. Also have some blue hubbard and we actually have some butternut! not many but we have a couple. the only squash based failures are the buttercups, they are just not setting. More sun please!
              We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
              Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

• I have three pumpkin plants seeds sown by my 8yr old grandson. I planted them at the lottie and I have four pumpkins, one is getting quite big and each time I go to the lottie I notice it has grown a bit more, its about large water melon size now. The other three are about melon size. I think they are Jack O Lantern.
                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                and ends with backache

Comment

• hi i am looking to buy a giant pumpking if any one has one spare im from doncaster and can travel if need be thanks.
                  Andy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X