favourite pea varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favourite pea varieties

I know this came up some time ago, but can't find the thread.
    Which are people's favourite pea varieties for good cropping and taste. I'm trying to get some First Forward going at the moment to overwinter - best variety for this or not? Also which are the earlies and which the later varieties?
    Thanks, Sue.

Kelvedon wonder and Champion of England

Comment

I'd love to just be able to grow them - i've never had much luck

Any tips to share on getting the blasted things to germinate and produce a reasonable crop? - the ones that do germinate tend to be spindly and produce about 2 small pods, and i have several rows of nothing.

Which is the best variety for pea killers?
      Last edited by Protea; 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM.
      There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
      Happy Gardening!

Comment

I've put a couple of rows of meteor in and some have germinated already, just hope they go on to crop as this is my first year and its all abit hit and miss.
        Bex

Comment

Hi Protea, i always start mine off in seed modules and when they have a couple of leaves i then plant them out. It always works for me and don't tend to loose any so no gaps in the rows. It also stops mice from eating the seed if they have already germinated.
          I grow Early Onward and Kelvdon Wonder but have been told on here that Meteor are the best for overwintering.
          Good luck,

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi, I've grown 'Early Onward' in the past & they've been nice & tasty & are hardy. This year I'm going to try the 'Meteor' ones which I got from the offer in GYO magazine.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
              Protea - the one thing I learned last year about gardening is that you have to be patient. I put broad beans and peas into cells at the same time about 6 days ago. The beans are almost all germinated and about 2" high, whereas there is only one pea showing. (Maybe I've chosen the wrong variety.) I remember chucking 'failed' seedlings away last year after what seemed like an endless wait, then they sprouted up all over the place. Good luck - it's worth the wait!
              Sue.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X