Garlic Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic Question

I planted some garlic back in November which has grown really well but are the bud thingys in the picture scapes? And does the scape grow into a flower? I know you can eat scapes but if the bud grows into a flower how long before they should be harvested?

Also when you do harvest them do you dry them out like you do with onions.

Busted: First time Garlic grower

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Attached Files
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
    I planted some garlic back in November which has grown really well but are the bud thingys in the picture scapes? And does the scape grow into a flower? I know you can eat scapes but if the bud grows into a flower how long before they should be harvested?

Also when you do harvest them do you dry them out like you do with onions.

Busted: First time Garlic grower

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    if you are storing garlic you would dry them like onions,
    i think you are right about that being the scape and edible, but someone else will correct us if wrong and answer the rest of you question.!
    a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Many thanks, Ive planted three lots of garlic since last november.Don't really know what I'm doing

Comment

apparently uou wait till the tops go yellow and flop over, then pull them up, lay out to dry for a bit, either in the garden if it's not raining {Ha!!} or on shelves or something in a shed, and when the husks are dry and papery, plait them up.

P.S. Nor me, first time also.

Comment

Do a search on scapes,there are pictures to show the difference between scapes and seed.I;m no expert but the scapes i saw look different to what yours looks like.

Comment

Take a look at this web site, this link in particular - Growing Garlic, Harvesting Garlic, Planting Garlic, Garlic Scapes. It may answer your question. (I always cut the 'bud thingy' stalk out if it develops as I was told that you will get a very thick neck on the garlic and it will not store well. A bit like onions.)
            Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Many Thanks for all your replies, will have a look at the website you mention. I thought they were flowers, the scapes look bendy, mine have shot up........... sorry watching country file and they have a couple of naked gardeners! Glad he's got his gloves on around the rose bushes

Anyway back to the garlic...... Mine has shot up from the centre so may be it's trying to flower. Will have a read and see whats happening.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X