Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Broad beans

Hiya

I have put in some Broad Beans ( bought from the Garden Center) Aquadulce, can anyone offer me advice on growing them. I have planted them and try to water them every weekend, not too much as its been raining a lot in High Wycombe the last few weeks. Should i do anything special when it starts to get cold or/if the snow appears.

Cheers
    Lorraine
    http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

You could cover them with some fleece if it gets particularly cold. The first year I grew overwintering broad beans it wasn't too cold and I didn't cover them and they survived. They were Aquadulce.

Hope that helps.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

2 of mine have been munched. Luckily I had 2 which I hadn't planted yet - ran out of space! so they've gone in now.

I have watered mine in, but thought I wouldn't water them now unless it gets particularly cold. I bought Aquadulce Claudia as they were recommended for over-wintering; do I have to cover them or should they survive a reasonably cold winter? (I've planted them against a chicken-wire fence, so it would be tricky to cover them with anything.)

Comment

I've grown winter broad beans for years but never watered them in winter. You can also sow them in pots on window sill or in greenhouse, harden them off and plant out when sprouted enough. It's best to give cloche protection in v cold weather. There's always a certain risk to frost damage with winter b beans but I find the main dander period is when they reach flowering stage as the flowers can't cope with extreme cold. Monica

Comment

Monica

I've never watered broadbeans in winter. Cover with cloches in severe weather especially once in flower. You may also sow in pots in greenhouse or on windowsill, harden off when properly through and plant out if possible when mild conditions.

Comment

Was a bit later than I meant to be planting mine so decided to give them a head start in pots - no sign of them yet, should I be worried? Never grown the winter ones before so is all new teritory.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

When did you sow them Alison? Mine germinated within 2 weeks and went great guns there after.

Comment

I've never grown these. If you sow now roughly when can you expect to harvest?
                I've got so little space I can't afford to tie it up for too long but I've got one titchy bed which won't be needed till April. Would they be done by then?

Comment

Think it'll be 2 weeks tomorrow when I planted them so will check tonight when I get in - fingers crossed they've just been teasing me and I'll see some little green shoots!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Ah, seems I was being too impatient, checked the greenhouse this morning and found that they've all germinated and are looking very healthy. As are the winter peas so will let them have another week of growth and then transplant them out into the garden next weekend, have been warming the ground under a cloche for the past couple of weeks so hopefully they should get a good start. I've already got some winter lettuce and cauliflowers in so fingers crossed for an early crop.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X