No announcement yet.

Garlic... Can I plant it now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planted my garlic this week. Had to start them off in pots as i have a knee thats causing me real pain and so can't kneel down. Three of them already have shoots on. Have started to take cod liver oil capsules and think the pain may be easing. Fingers crossed as i don't want my gardening career to come to such an abrupt end just yet.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
      Planted my garlic this week. Had to start them off in pots as i have a knee thats causing me real pain and so can't kneel down. Three of them already have shoots on. Have started to take cod liver oil capsules and think the pain may be easing. Fingers crossed as i don't want my gardening career to come to such an abrupt end just yet.
      Glucosamine can sometimes help with painful joints. Hope it feels better soon.
      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Hi kirsty b, have'nt heard of that before. Is it taken orally or is it a rub. I would try anything if i thought it would help.
        Thanks.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
          Fertility rites Mrs D, it's the only way
          Phew Nick, the garlic has sprouted!! Saves me from those dreaded fertility rites! I mean, its not that I object to the rites per se, but not when the weather has turned as windy, cold and wet as it has today! lol!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

If its that cold there wouldn't be much to see Mrs D
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Hi kirsty b, have'nt heard of that before. Is it taken orally or is it a rub. I would try anything if i thought it would help.
              Thanks.
              Its oral in capsule form. Can get it from most chemists. Have no idea of how much it costs though.
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Hi Bramble,

I have bad knees and I take glucosamine. It's supposed to work really well for alot of problems relating to cartilage, and arthritis etc....

You can get glucosamine on it's own, and you can get glucosamine with chondroitin. The glucosamine on it's own is quite alot cheaper than the one with chondroitin - I think the two together are about 18 Euro for 1 month's supply

I think it takes about 1 month before you can expect to see results, but from everything I've heard, they're great and worth a shot.

I take them every day.

Hope your knee gets better soon....

Comment

Originally posted by SueA View Post
                  I think whenever you can get the things in the ground is the right time!
                  I've got garlic, shallots, autumn onions , spring bulbs etc. all waiting to be planted as everything seems to keep conspiring against me to stop me getting outside planting & I've still got summer bedding & plants in pots etc. which I can't bear to throw away yet as they still look good. Plan to get out there this week if the ground dries out a bit.
                  Me too, my onions and garlic are still sitting in the shed waiting for the available time and suitable weather to coincide.

It's got a lot colder here in Suffolk today (since lunchtime), but the forecast is for dry weather so hopefully I can get them done at the weekend. I was just thinking this week we've still got summer bedding and baskets looking really good and yesterday when I was clearing one of the borders I found some bluebells putting up leaves. Crazy isn't it?

Comment

Thanks.
                    Hi Bramble,
                    I highly recommend glucosamine, high potency liquid form is the most efficacious. Not only is it good for us humans but one of my old greyhounds was on it last year for his stiff joints; worked like magic, he came off anti-inflammatories after a few weeks.

Comment

You can get glucosamine gel as well to rub directly onto the joint - OH used it when he damaged his wrist and it seemed to help, think he got it from Holland & Barratt. They sell the various tablets as well and had some 50% off last week but not sure if the offer is still on. Where do you get the liquid version from?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Back to the garlic

Soobeth - Ive just realised where you have been - Heys garden centre at Ambleside is fantastic isn't it? I really love going and have a wander around there. A friend of mine says that if you buy any of their plants because they have been raised further up north, then bring them down and plant them, they always do well because they are more hardy. How did you get on with planting your garlic? DDL
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi and thanks to all who have given me useful advice about Glucosamine. I have to say i have never heard of it before now. However went out and bought some today and have already started taking them. So fingers crossed.
                          If it worked for your grayhound Hils thats good enough for me.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Slow Garlic??

I Believe it is important for the Garlic roots to form well before the shoots get too large, so I guess don't worry if nothing is showing yet as it is doing all of the work under the ground. And the cold weather helps to initially slow the shoots down so you can get good roots first. Apparently they have deep fine roots.
                            I am still learning loads though, mostly out of books and my dad!
                            Hope that puts your mind at ease.

Comment

Good old Dads Eh Mazel, What would you do without us
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

Hi bramble - just to let you know that all the research done on Glucosamine was based on a total daily dose of 1500mg for the most effective treatment. You can also try devil's claw and turmeric. Healthspan do a good range at
                                www.healthspan.co.uk.

Hope your knees are feeling better soon.
                                Bright Blessings
                                Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X