Firepits/Chimenea - My DIY effort

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
    You should be well pleased with yourself Stuie! I'd be chuffed to bits if it were me.

I think it looks great, and OH is very impressed too.

A lot of those chimneas have some very dodgy looking stands, but yours looks very stable indeed. Can you make it a fireguard to keep little hands off the hot metal or is your wee lad old enough to understand?

Jules
    Hi,

Thanks, our garden slopes up from the house and the landlord has made separate patios up the garden. The chimenea sits on the end of the second patio and we sit in the bottom section so it's about 3 foot up away from us. This means that we don't get covered in smoke but some of the heat is lost but it also mean my son can't reach.

he's normally in bed when we are out there with it lit anyway.

I did have a bit of a problem with this the other night though, I think a fox knocked it over (I did also see a squirel go down the chimney one morning) and half the welds broke on the chimney so it's loose.

I need to get more gas for the welder before I can repair it.

One other thing I painted it with stove paint which it turns out is not waterproof so I tried exhaust paint which flakes off. The only other option I can think of is BBQ paint but my local homebase never have any in stock. So at the moment mine is a horrible grey colour with lost of water runs down the sides. It looks a bit naff.

Comment

Very impressed - very.

Very cool.

Personally I wouldn't have the bottle.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
        Very impressed - very.

Very cool.

Personally I wouldn't have the bottle.
        The first time drilling it I tried at arms length and covering my eyes. It took a while.

Comment

my husband has made us one out of a old gas bottle and i know someone else who is getting paid £40 for eacdh one he makes

Comment

I've had mine in the corner of the greenhouse for the last couple of years. A 10 foot flue goes out the roof and it keeps me nice and warm when I'm pottering about in the spring.
            Another plus is that it bypasses the restrictions on 'no fires' at the allotments as it is seen as a geeenhouse heater.

Can make a canny pan of allotment broth on it as well!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X