''Pinching'' out Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rana View Post
    Those like TEB who grow to 8 trusses must have monster high plants. Six is my maximum.
    Did say 6-8 , it depends on the variety and the growing conditions, my tigerella have 4 trusses on but are only 18" high whereas the black russian only have 3 trusses but are over 24", if it carried on like this I would probably stop the tigerella at 8 and the black russian at 6

Comment

Some of mine have 2 trusses on at the moment and none is over a foot high. If you have one truss and the plant is huge it has been starved of light I suspect. I usually stop cordons at 6 trusses but it does depend on the look of the plant.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Duronal View Post
        the picture on this page is also very good.

Pruning Tomatoes - Fine Gardening Article
        That's a really good article Duronal, thanks for that.
        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Yes that article is great thanks Duronal!
          Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
            Where are you and how tall are you - if the tomato is indoors it sounds well and truly forced and should be pinched out now if it's that tall....
            Hmm, good stuff. This explaines why my 'house' tomatoes are looking a bit like a teenage boy. They're pretty tall but totally lack the robust-ness of the greenhouse toms. Out you go kids!
            The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
              Tamsin, if it's that tall already and has only one truss setting on it, it sounds odd.

Where are you and how tall are you - if the tomato is indoors it sounds well and truly forced and should be pinched out now if it's that tall. One of the reasons you only have one truss so far is the plant is putting all its energy into growing upwards and little into setting fruit.
              It's inside in our porch, it was sown mid Feb (blame the early tomato sowing thread), it's about 5'8" from the floor. I swear it grows every time I turn my back. I pinched out all the side shoots (they were only tiny 1" long). It looks like it might have another branch of flowers developing I'll have a better look tomorrow.

If I pinch out the tip will it grow flowers lower down?

Comment

Hi All

any advice on what should be happening with my tumbling tom - ie, when and how does it start to "tumble"? At the moment it is looking just like my other toms - growing upright

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
                  It's inside in our porch, it was sown mid Feb (blame the early tomato sowing thread), it's about 5'8" from the floor. I swear it grows every time I turn my back. I pinched out all the side shoots (they were only tiny 1" long). It looks like it might have another branch of flowers developing I'll have a better look tomorrow.

If I pinch out the tip will it grow flowers lower down?
                  I wouldn't think so. It will just try to throw out side shoots.

Comment

My goodness I did not know you could use the side shoots for cuttings you learn something new everyday thanks to this forum.

Comment

I did it the year before last to give a few plants to my neighbour when he lost all his when his greenhouse was caught in the floods. They will go all floppy and limp for a few days but persist - they come good!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X