No announcement yet.

Seeds from shop bought toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard of someone who got some plum tomato plants from seeds out of a tin of chopped tomatoes!
    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

So have I - but I've never heard of anyone actually growing plants from them (or seen the pictures). They've been pressure cooked! It's an apocryphal story.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Magz, this is a really useful website. I have printed out the advice on saving seed - shan't have to spend so much next year! Yippee!

Comment

Originally posted by Kath View Post
          I took some seeds from an Asda tomato last week and dried it on kitchen roll. I have torn a piece off with 4 seeds on and planted them .We shall see what happens. I daren't try any more as I already have more plants than I can keep!
          Were they the little golden baby plum ones Kath?

If so, mine germinated after about 4 days.

Sharon
          Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

I had some lovely little rose pink baby toms from co-op yesterday; I've got a few left so I'm going to sow them into a pot tonight as we're having a salad for tea. If they come true, I'll seed swap later in the year.

Yummy
            Last edited by zazen999; 20-05-2009, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              I'm going to sow them into a pot tonight as we're have a salad for tea.
              Flippin' eck, they must be quick growers!

Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by 21again View Post
                flippin' eck, they must be quick growers!

ROFL!! You wicked little thing you!
                Last edited by basketcase; 20-05-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

No 21 again. They are the lovely tasting ones which are sold 'on the vine' which you pick yourself ie not prepacked. I think they come from East Yorks and they smell and taste like real toms! They are quite big and slice beautifully for salads.

Comment

Don't forget that whilst we dry them and clean the seeds etc with great care, they quite happily self seed without any of this kerfuffle so you don't need to be too careful. I can confirm that the stories about self seeded tomatoes on sewage works is indeed true so there's another method for us all........................

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Not one for waiting I put my seeds gunge and all on top of compost ,moved them about a bit in the compost .Then left them for a few days in a plastic strawberry carton from the supermarket as a propagator and they are coming up like good uns .

Comment

A load of seeds have appeared in my pot of ginger, I think it is probably a cherry tomato that fell of into the pot and the seeds have germinated. I have pricked them out into ind. pots and have 15 of them. Just going to see what they turn into.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X