Giant courgette plants!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prozac View Post
    so I put them into the garden a couple of weeks ago..... since then they've done nowt.
    they won't.
    It's still too cold (at nights) for courgettes to be outside.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I bought three plants last year and had a glut this year I have sown 3 yellow and three green bush so far so good, they are in my plastic grrenhouse now. I made loads of courgette and walnut chutney and also courgette relish both lovely
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by butter fingers View Post
        i have realised that somehow i have mixed courgette and cucumber together. can any one tell me how to tell them apart, seeds are about 1 to 2 inches high at the moment.i think i put courgette in the pots when some of the cucumbers failed to germinate by mistake. courgette seeds packet has been opened and used but i cant find any pots with courgettes labelled up.
        help1
        ?look up google images for cucumber/courgette seedlings - might help identify. My courgettes are growing faster and bigger than the cucumber if that helps! Cucumber slower to germinate
        Elsie

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          they won't.
          It's still too cold (at nights) for courgettes to be outside.
          I planted 3 courgettes out a couple of weeks ago and they are doing fine so far.
          But it has been pretty warm for the time of year, I guess I could still be caught out by a frosty spell. I've got spare plants in pots just in case.

Comment

Last year I planted 2 out early and one died, we still had lots of courgettes, but not quite enough to get sick of them (that's what I'm aiming for this year! ha ha)

Comment

Originally posted by indigox View Post
              I planted 3 courgettes out a couple of weeks ago and they are doing fine
              ...but Prozac is a few miles north of you

Comment

Lottieval - I have been looking around for courgette and maybe am too late to sow them, would it cost a lot to send these by posts in case you still have few plants to give away?
                cheers Reks

Comment

Originally posted by Reks View Post
                  Lottieval - I have been looking around for courgette and maybe am too late to sow them
                  Not too late at all. Why don't you put a "wanted" on the seed swap forum?

Comment

I have sowed 4 courgette seeds a week ago, going to plant on the two strongest seedlings- only wanted one plant but at least i'll have one as back up in case the other fails

I can see one seed has germinated so far!

I love courgettes so hoping for loads of them
                    My Album, Progress so Far: -
                    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ss-so-far.html

Comment

have just planted out a zucchini and a pumpkin with my sweetcorn plants tonight...i have loads of other squash in the wings if the ones I put out tonight fail...like others, mine have grown like anything, but with only me in the family loving courgettes, I'm sure I'll have enough
                      "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        ...but Prozac is a few miles north of you
                        Hmm, yes, but I'm not home and dry yet... hence the back-up plants!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmerG View Post
                          Glenisita - I've done exactly the same thing... the plants have become a little rampant and I haven't prepared the ground for them yet!!

I might stick them in bigger pots and give them a feed... They start to struggle in small pots as they drain the nutrients out of the compost so quickly.
                          That'd explain why the true leaves of mine, which I've just transplanted into the garden, were turning pale along the veins, which I think is a sign of depletion of some mineral or other. I thought that that was probably why. Hopefully, they'll recover now they're in the ground and mulched with compost.
                          Last edited by StephenH; 07-05-2009, 08:45 AM. Reason: typo correction.
                          Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

i have just been to my local supermarket and bought 2 very nice looking plants. they are about 4 inches high and have loads of 'pods' on them on the stem and a couple of long stemed leaves. they also have 2 different shaped leaves at the very bottom.

am i right in thinking that i should put them in a bigger pot and leave in the plastic green house for a little longer, then stake and put outside? what do i do about the other 2 little leaves - will they drop off or do i pick them off?

Thanks

Tracy
                            www.tuscana.net 2 junctions from disney, fully equipped apartment. unit 1307 if anyone wants to book their accomodation

Comment

Hi Tracy,

Big pots in the greenhouse is exactly right. Don't worry about staking - courgettes tend to sprawl wherever they like, and rarely stay upright. The little leaves you see are the very first leaves that the plant produced, these will more than likely just wither and fall off.

If you haven't done so already, now is the time to prepare the ground for their final positions. I dig a pit about a foot round and deep, and fill it with earth/compost/manure -let this 'brew' for 2-4 weeks before planting the plant. Remember they are hungry plants and need a lot of nutrients - so maybe mix some general purpose fertiliser in with the aforementioned 'brew'. Pits need to be about 3 feet apart, these plants get big!

Once the plants get going, they'll like a bit of potassium to help with 'fruit' production - so the occasional dose of tomatoe feed wouldn't go amiss - or comfrey tea if you've managed to create some!

Jimmer

Comment

Originally posted by JimmerG View Post
                                or comfrey tea if you've managed to create some!
                                thanks jimmer, how do i do that then

Tracy
                                www.tuscana.net 2 junctions from disney, fully equipped apartment. unit 1307 if anyone wants to book their accomodation

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X