Obsessed with squashes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsessed with squashes

Is it just me, or is anybody else obsessed with squashes? Since I've been growing my own, I am determined to find the best varieties and am now conducting a taste test - ie buying every different type I can find on road-side stalls, markets etc.

I'm hoping that I should be able to save the seed of most of these - so you get a meal and a packet of seeds in one! They will come true to type, I'm assuming?

What is the best way to preserve the seeds? Wash off & dry?

All advice gratefully received - what's your best variety?

If you are going to grow squashes on an allotment, there is a very good chance that if you save the seeds that they will not produce a fruit true to the parent plant if there are other people growing squashes, a chap on our allotment saved the seeds out of one fruit and had about eight differant types of squash ie bush, trailing, plain ones, striped ones, bi coloured ones, so if you want a true plant buy new seed every year if you dont mind what you get save your own seed.

Comment

Oh my oh my. Another Squash fiend. Just do not get me started.......

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
        If you are going to grow squashes on an allotment, there is a very good chance that if you save the seeds that they will not produce a fruit true to the parent plant if there are other people growing squashes, a chap on our allotment saved the seeds out of one fruit and had about eight differant types of squash ie bush, trailing, plain ones, striped ones, bi coloured ones, so if you want a true plant buy new seed every year if you dont mind what you get save your own seed.
        That is the whole point and great fun of growing Squash IMHO.
        We recently had a bit of a Squash seed swop on here. Next year we will send vines coiling all over the far reaches of the UK * sound of evil squashy laughter*

Comment

o that was your plan all the time PT,oh my goddd what will we do *HELP*

Comment

Hello Peta, I don't think squash will come true to type. Even from bought seed I have had some mixture. Just enjoy whatever you get They are all lovely.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I'd be a bit of a squash monster too.... I have to admit. I loved the variety of pumpkins and squashes available in Australia - wow.... is all I can say!

Here' I'm a butternut fan as there's not much else to buy that's decent in the shops down here, but I am growing some Japanese squash this year that are looking very promising....

Just got to be patient and not try to eat them before they're ripe!!
              Last edited by Slug; 24-10-2006, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Festival and Sweet Dumpling are two varieties of squash that I always get a good crop off.
                [

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I'm obviously not alone!
                  I grew Sweet dumpling (fab), butternut (bit bland but a good crop), and have bought delikata, crown prince, red kuri (or is is hari kari?!").

Guess I'll be getting more than my five-a-day of veg in the next few weeks!!

Cheers.

Comment

My all time favourites are Crown Prince and Buttercup which is closely related to Kumbocha. I freeze them down in chunks and eke them out all year.

Comment

Hi pickledtink,
                      re freezing squashes do ypu have to blanch them first or can you just chop them up and bung them straight in the freezer?
                      I want to have a go at growing them, but as I'm the only one in my house that likes them, I'd rather preserve a few than have loads go to waste.
                      Thanks
                      Kirsty
                      Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by Slug View Post
                        I'd be a bit of a squash monster too.... I have to admit. I loved the variety of pumpkins and squashes available in Australia - wow.... is all I can say!
                        I love squashes too. We are hoping to get sponsored to move to Australia soon, so it is good to know there are lots of squashes there.

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                          Hi pickledtink,
                          re freezing squashes do ypu have to blanch them first or can you just chop them up and bung them straight in the freezer?
                          I want to have a go at growing them, but as I'm the only one in my house that likes them, I'd rather preserve a few than have loads go to waste.
                          Thanks
                          Kirsty
                          Chop and bung definitely. Do grow some. They are one of the most 'personable' veg.

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty b View Post
                            Hi pickledtink,
                            Thanks
                            Kirsty
                            When I first started freezing surplus I religiously followed all the advice about blanching etc.

Got a bit short of time and did'nt bother about the blanching. Guess what? Results as good if not better. Can't remember the last time I blanched anything.

Only prep I do now is peel (if necessary) cut into usable sizes. If fruit like chopped or sliced apple, or anything that needs to be cut up, I either pack into small plastic boxes or open freeze on a tray and then tip into plastic bags. If you open freeze they tend to stay separate so you can take out as much as you need (like frozen chips)

I do make sauces with tomatoes, onions, chillies etc. Roast in the oven, then liquidize and freeze in portions in plastic tubs or bags.

Comment

Originally posted by blossom View Post
                              I love squashes too. We are hoping to get sponsored to move to Australia soon, so it is good to know there are lots of squashes there.
                              You will be in Squash heaven in that case. I first came across them there along with sweet potatoes many years ago which set me off on growing them in UK as I couldn't stop craving the taste.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X